Cheese/Chicken Enchilada soup

Started by Gordon, March 13, 2006, 07:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon

Hey yall,  I am looking for a soup recipe for use with either smoked chicken or smoked chedar.  Prefferably both.  I suppose regular chedar with smoked chicken would work...I will probably incorporate some smoked onion and/or garlic too.

Ok, now I am hungry....

Any takers?

Gordo
Unskyled layber

iceman

Howdy Gordon. Just a little twist on things but it turned out good. I brined then smoked a chicken and used it instead of ham in my split pea soup. Tasted great according to all that had it. I smoked it a little longer than I normally do to help flavor the soup.

iceman

Cauliflower cheese soup:

Ingredients:

1 medium Cauliflower
2 cups Chicken stock
1/4 cup Butter or margarine
1/4 cup Chopped onion
1/4 cup All-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/8 teaspoon Pepper
2 cups Milk
1 cup Grated medium Cheddar cheese
Buttered bread crumbs for garnish
Parsley

Directions:

Cook cauliflower in chicken stock until tender. Do not drain. Cool a bit. Run through blender to desired texture. Set aside.

Melt butter in saucepan. Add onion and saute until limp. Do not brown.

Mix in flour, salt and pepper. Add milk. Heat and stir until it boils and thickens.

Add cheese and cauliflower mixture. Stir to heat and melt cheese. Garnish with buttered bread crumbs.

Serves 4:

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

well if you are in the mood for soup, here is a twist on chicken and dumplings instead of dumlings you will use flour tortillas,

CHICKEN & DUMPLINGS

1 3-lb stewing chicken
1 large onion
2 ribs celery
1/2 green bell pepper
1 tsp salt
8 cups chicken broth
2 packages of flour tortillas or 1 18 pack

In deep Dutch oven, combine the chicken, veggies, salt and water. Bring to a boil; then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour until chicken is very tender. Remove chicken to cool. Discard the veggies. Bone cooled chicken, tear into small pieces, and set aside.

Bring broth to a boil. Slice flour tortillas into strips (like dumplings - not too big) and drop one at a time into the boiling broth. Do not stir - but gently move the dumplings around if necessary. Do not be in a hurry to put all the dumplings in. Allow them to cook for a few seconds before putting more on top. Simmer about 15 minutes, slightly and gently pushing down into broth to prevent them from sticking together.

Add chicken and serve.
Serves 10

IKnowWood

I got two ideas.

Idea number one (thanks to Barbie my wife):  Smoky chicken Green chile Stew (close to soup)

1 lb smoked chicken, chopped or shredded, chopped works best
4 Russett Potatoes, chopped to 1 inch cubes
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic minced
14 oz canned diced tomato (mexican style)
10 oz canned diced tomato (Rotelle)
14 oz diced green chile
2 tsp garlic powder
4 cups chicken broth (or enough to cover stew)

Heat a large stew pan over medium-high heat.  Add 2 tsp oil and onions & garlic.  Cook until softened.  Add chicken, potatoes, tomatoes, chile, garlic powder, and chicken broth.  Cook until potatoes are fork tender.  If you want it thicker mix 1 TBS cornstartch with water and add to the stew.  Cook until thickened.

Second Idea: Smoked Chicken Enchilada Casserole

1 lb Shredded Smoked Chicken
1 package McCormicks Hot Chili mix
2 15 oz cans Tomato Sauce
1 Tbs Cilantro leaves
1 ts Penzy Soutwest spice
1 ts Penzy Jalepeno Powder
2 cups water

small package of Corn Tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded Mexi Cheese

Directions:

In large sauce pan, add chicken and quickly heat (1 minute) add all spices and turn to mix and blend.  Addd Tomatoe sauce and water and mix and cook for 15 minutes on medium heat.  

meantime pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and take out a medium pyrex or similar square baking dish, spray lightly with olive oil to lubricate sides.  Layer a few of the corn tortillas to make a bed that covers the bottom of the dish (like Lasagna), cut the tortillas as needed.  

When the red sauce with chile is ready, layer mostly chicken on the tortillas, with some sauce.  Layer with some cheese.  Then add another layer of corn tortillas, followed by what's left of the chicken and some sauce.  Leave room for a top layer of remaining cheese.

Put in oven and bake for 30 minutes.  

Take out, rest 5 minutes, cut and serve.  If it not hot enough for you, toss in another package of McCormiks Chili mix and a quarter cup water.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Gordon

Wow...great recipes all!!!  Thanks for the help.  I will start with the cauliflower soup and work with it until I get what I need.  I am definetly trying the others though...thanks again

Gordo
Unskyled layber

BigSmoker

This recipe is a good one[:D].

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=917&SearchTerms=white,chicken,chili

Jeff

Not sure why it wasn't mentioned[?].  Just use smoked chicken and smoked cheese[:D]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.