I need to go to "Brisket University" - suggestions please

Started by weekendsmoker, October 27, 2008, 08:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekendsmoker

Hi everyone, I would like to try my first brisket and had some questions.  I have spent some time reading through the posts but would like some additional information if possible and getting it all in the same post would make it easy for me to print off.

*What size brisket should I start with as my first?

*Should I start with a mustard and dry rub, then sitting overnight like pulled pork?

*How many hrs of smoke and cook time would you suggest?  What about the vent?  I like the meat with lots of smoke.

*Any other suggestions would be great thanks.

Oh, and do most people put a bbq sauce on the brisket when it's all finished or just eat it with the rub?

Thanks again.

Jason.

beefmann

Welcome Jason...

first off it  depends on your  taste.. how ever what i like to do is start with fresh garlic ... pealed and  crushed in a  food processor then add virgin olive oil till it is  blended toghter  like a  smothie... let  it set  for an hour so the flavors can melt toghter...once the olive garlic is made and  ready, rub it all over the brisket evenly with a nice thin coat .

then sprinkle one of the  following rubs:

FENNEL RUB                  BEEFMANN RUB
                                                                                           in tablespoons

anahiem chile powder                                               2                                    1
black pepper                                                            2                                     1
Ground cinnimon ( sigon perfered )                          1                                     1
granulated sugar                                                     1                                     1
hungarian Paprika                                                    2                                     2
thyme                                                                       1                                     1
cumin                                                                       1                                     1
Fennel                                                                      1                                     0 
ground mustard                                                       2                                     2
kosher salt                                                               3                                     2

mix all toghter .. quanitity is good for a 3 lb roast ... double up untill you  have  enough and sprinkle  on
put  brisked covered in garlic and  rub in fridge over  night... in morning pull out  of fridge and fire up the smoke generator only..
wait about 30 to 45 minutes and put  brisket in and add your favorite wood and advance them to the  tip of the generator.. smoke 2 to 4 hours ... once done then  start  your  cooking process at a box temp of 200 to 220 till an IT of 185 to 190 ...on brisket it may take 15 to 20 hours to cook depending on the size of the  brisket...

i have done a 15 lb top surloin at 205 that took 17 hours to  cook to an it of 180 and almost lost it when it fell apart.. be  prepared for it to be  tender... im sure others will ring on on this question.

you may want to check out this link as well
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7825.0

Habanero Smoker

Also you may want to look at these two recipes that are posted on the recipe site. They are recipes from two of the forum members.

Brisket Pachanga

WTS Brisket

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

I personally like to keep my brisket simple.  I apply olive oil, then add salt, pepper, onion, and garlic.  I then apply 4 hours of smoke and continue to cook at 205 cabinet temp until desired internal temp (for me it is around 175 F), set on counter to rest and cool.  I then wrap in cling wrap and place in fridge over night.  Next day on low setting in crock pot with apple juice until dinner time.  Tender, juicy, with great meat flavor every time.  ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Weekend...WTS is your go to guy on brisket... Those Texans know how to smoke a brisket better then anybody IMHO...  ;D

weekendsmoker

Thanks so much for the information.  I plan on giving it a go next weekend and will report back.

Cheers.

Jason.