Anyone else homebrew?

Started by Sorce, May 14, 2010, 02:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorce

Just wondering if anyone has this hobby to go along with their smoking hobby (or obsession  ;D). The seem like they would fit together nicely. My wife and I have been making wine for about 3 years now. We started making it because we were interested and gave away the first batch as Christmas presents for family. That first one came from a boxed kit. Since then we've expanded out to different things, actually made all the wine for our wedding almost a year ago. Most recently we've been making mead. We like its unique taste and it's not as easy to buy, not to mention honey is pretty easy to get your hands on.

I want to get into beer and may try that experiment before too long. I'm going to try and save up for a kegerator first so I don't have to bottle it all. My wife doesn't know about the kegerator part so I gotta figure out a way to convince her that would be a good purchase.

Any way just wondering if anyone else is into making their own adult beverages around here.

BuyLowSellHigh

It was a regular weekend activity for wife and me until we had kids, then not enough time.  I still have my "brewery" - all  stainless, 3-tier - the mills, my chest freezer turned fermentation locker, and all my fermenters.  All we did was all-grain brewing in half-barrel batches ( ~ 15 gal finished).  It took all day, like 12-14 hours, from start of grinding grains to in the fermenters and pitched.  We got pretty decent at it, took some ribbons both at regional and national competitions.  When we get some time back I suspect we'll be back to brewing again.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

ArnieM

I've not done it myself.  I'm not really into beer but do enjoy a good ale from time to time.

When I was a teen, "Grandpa Ascolese", down the road made wine.  An Italian family that had houses for at least a 1/2 mile up the road, cows, pasture land, etc.  He got grapes delivered on a flatbed; and big barrels.  I used to help out around the barn and such.  He offered up his wine.  Thinking back, it had the color and clarity of well used motor oil.  At 13, it turned my socks inside out.  Wow!

Can't get it like that anymore  ;D ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KevinG

My dad used to make beer. I'm not a big beer fan either, but he did have one that wasn't too bad. He liked that dark stuff - you know the kind you've got to chew to get down. BLEAH  :P
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

NePaSmoKer

Yeah but i'm low tech  ;D

Turns out some decent brew.

Pale Ale fermenting now.

dribron

Oh yeah, close too twenty years I belive. Most of what I brew is eith an amber, pail ale, or betterr. They are my favorites, but have brewed many different brews over the years.

dribron

You know I have done mead in the past, but it has been a few moons... Let us all know how it turns out.

Sorce

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 15, 2010, 07:16:39 AM

Pale Ale fermenting now.

I have that exact same white cutting board btw.

So I guess the MR Beer works pretty well? Do you leave the beer in there or take it out and bottle it. That's my main issue right now with beer is I'd rather have a keg to put it all in and have it on tap rather than dealing with all the bottles.

classicrockgriller

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Sorce on May 16, 2010, 09:39:19 AM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 15, 2010, 07:16:39 AM

Pale Ale fermenting now.

I have that exact same white cutting board btw.

So I guess the MR Beer works pretty well? Do you leave the beer in there or take it out and bottle it. That's my main issue right now with beer is I'd rather have a keg to put it all in and have it on tap rather than dealing with all the bottles.

Makes decent beer. Got to let it ferment for 7-10 days in the keg before you bottle.

Sorce

Ok, I wasn't sure if you kept it in the keg or had to bottle it after it was done. I have all the equipment minus the bottles and capper that I use for wine that could be used for the beer as well, just wondering if with the mr beer you served it out of the keg or had to bottle.

I think I may wait till we get the basement finished and get a kegerator down there so I can just move my beer to that. The mead we've been making works for now. I also think I may go pick up some fresh apple cider and see if I can improve that a little bit.

TTNuge

I use to brew A LOT!  In the end I had stomach issues that made me give it up but at the time I was doing 10 gallon all grain batches that were then kegged in 5gal "corny" kegs.  It really was an all day affair to make a batch and my friends and I were usually pretty messed up by the end but for the most part everything came out great.

I should look for my recipe book one of these days.  I had two brews that were always well received and we made a lot.  The first one was a nice wheat summer beer that always went down smooth and seemed like you were drinking water until it snuck up and kick ya in the ass.  The other was a Cyser that was just out of this world.  It was a combination of honey, apple cider and some malt extract I believe.  It tasted so good and was around 10% alcohol I think.  That one didn't take much to put a man out.

StickyDan

I don't actually make the beer myself but I do frequent a "U-brew" store that makes some pretty good stuff for less than half the price.   I've tried several varieties - some better than others.  I have been thinking about doing this myself in my garage.  I'm sure it would be fun and would save money in the long run.  I'm pretty obsessed with smoking right now, not sure my brain has the capacity to learn a whole new craft. 
Mr.Beer seems interesting.  How is it??? 

Quarlow

About 21 years ago back before god died, I bought one of these (www.beermachine.com) At the time I was living on a cattle ranch in the middle of nowhere and didn't have any real info on how to make it work well. I made 3 different batches and was not happy with my results and pretty much stuck it in the closet till just recently. Someone else gave me another one so now I have 2 that don't get used, however a friend just bought one not long ago and he made some very good beer in it. In fact he tried to get the 2 from me but he made the mistake of letting me try his good beer first and then I was not willing to give them up. So I am going to take a second shot at these. You brew it all in the keg, I guess it is just like the Mr. beer and you leave it in the keg and just stick the whole thing in the fridge. Or you can bottle it up and start another batch.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

NePaSmoKer

Gotta leave the Mr Beer keg on the counter at room temp 7-10 days. I think i'm going to get a case of that nasty Grolsch beer just for the flip top bottles.