Rookie Question

Started by tyrodsports, October 04, 2014, 02:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrodsports

Forgive me for being the rookie.  I have to ask a question concerning smoke times.  I have heard to separate styles of attack: 1-Smoke at the entire time listed in the recipes and 2: Only smoke for half of the time of the recipe and then cook the other half?  I have smoked the entire time of the recipe and it seems to have a very powerful taste.  Anyways, I would love to hear your thoughts.  Thanks.

GusRobin

Some of it depends on which type of puck you are using, some flavors are stronger than others (mesquite for example. I cook with hickory mostly. If I am cooking large butts or briskets I smoke for 3-4 hours tops. Chicken less since it seems to absorb smoke more. Except for when I cooked a raw ham for 30 hrs and smoked for 8, I never smoke more than 4.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

manfromplaid

same for me 4 hrs seems to be all you need in the bradley

Habanero Smoker

Hi tyrodsports;

Welcome to the forum.

As mentioned the smoke time depends on the type of wood, the type of food, and your particular taste. Below is a link that provides a guideline of what most users use.
How Much Smoke

Below is a guide to wood flavors.
Wood Flavors

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tyrodsports

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the assistance and will try to change up my pucks (mesquite may not be for me) and adjust cook times.  Habanero Smoker...that link is very useful.  Thanks.

Rodney

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)