Ramp feature

Started by nodak, January 14, 2006, 06:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nodak

Just wondering that if any of you with the raptor/competitor use the ramp feature or if I should turn it off.  It's takes longer to reach the meat temp as it gets closer cuz of the ramp feature, Is this agood thing or should I be turning it off and for what meats or all?

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

Habanero Smoker

I generally turn the ramp mode off, unless I am not going to be able to be around for several hours. Using the ramp mode for everyday use will definately extend the cook time.

The ramp mode is ideal for starting something in the morning then leaving to go to work (if you feel safe doing so), or if you are going to be gone the few hours when you expect the product to be done; you have less to worry about anything being dried out. Also I find it handy to hold food at 140 F, when I have a lot of hot food to serve during outdoor parties.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nsxbill

I use the ramp mode on my Raptor/Procom4 setup for those long pork butt/shoulder smokes that go about 24hrs.  I never try to rush in the quest for perfection!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

nsxbill

I am on my 22nd day straight at work as I write, and won't get a day off until Tuesday.  This is 26 day stretch for me, and getting a bit tired.  I am such a Ho for the money!  

This schedule hasn't stopped me from smoking.  My alarm just went off.  I have 17lbs of Pork shoulder in my smoker right now and it has been cooking now for 27hrs.  

Love that Procom4.  I just set it at 3:00 yesterday afternoon, went out and changed the water 4 hrs later.  I pulled out the bacon I had on top shelf to enjoy for breakfast, and the smoker has been perfectly controlled throughout the day.  I set it on the "ramp" mode, and it just nudges the temp towards my 190°F set point.  Smoker never went over 208° F. for the entire smoke.  Used some Oak this time.  

One of the RNs I work with is dying from cancer, and her husband can't cook a lick. I did one shoulder for her (for her husband)and another for another friend that I will drop off in the morning on the way to work.  Going to put it into a cooler and just drop it off for them to shred up for sandwiches.

Damn, I can't eat this any more after the gastric bypass, but it sure smells obscene!  OUCH!  I did love the pork butt!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

JJC

You are indeed a good man, Bill . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

ChefBill

I'm with nsxbill on using it on a butt,[^] need that Looooong low & slow rise for pulled pork. Usually don't use if for other things.

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it