Pulled Chicken?

Started by steve-o, February 16, 2012, 01:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve-o

I have a request to make some pulled chicken for my non-mammal eating sweetheart. So I was gonna grab a big pack of breasts from the store(skin on/bone in) tomorrow and was planning on just using Jan's Rub on the chicken. Just curious on peoples opinions if I should brine it first or not. I work tonight so I wont be able to get to the store tonight so if brining is recommended I may have to wait until Saturday to smoke which would be fine too. If I do just use a rub should I put anything else on it for the rub to stick to? Thanks

Habanero Smoker

If the chicken is not already injected with a brine solution, I would not bother to brine. Generally chicken parts are not injected, or the packaging doesn't state that they are. Since you will be pulling it, it probably won't matter either way, since after pulling you add a sauce anyway. Adding the sauce will put moisture back into the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

hal4uk

Here's an idea that I haven't done but have thought about for pulled chicken...

Remove the skin completely and smoke it separately.  Rub both the meat and the separate skin.  When done, chop the skin up and add to the pulled meat.  If it's still rubbery, saute it to a bit of a "crisp" before adding in.  Just an idea.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

SnellySmokesEm

Here is some post that I have done on pulled chicken:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=25906.msg310809#msg310809
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=23671.msg284058#msg284058

I wouldn't use the skin unless you do like Hal said and fry it up to make it crispie.  It tastes fine with the skin but if you look at the pics in the first post it doesnt look too appealing.  Thanks for the tip Hal, I'll try that next time.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

Habanero Smoker

I always just toss the skin, may try crisping the skin like Hal, but I would keep the skin on during the smoking/cooking; it keeps the meat more moist and prevent the outer layer of the skin becoming tough. After it is fully cooked, removing the skin is easy, and it can be crisped a that point.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

squirtthecat

OU812

I rarely brine chicken.

What I like to do with split chicken breasts is peal the skin back and apply some rub to the meat then put the skin back in place and rub some seanut oil on the skin then apply more rub.

Let the rubed breasts sit at room temp wile the smoker warms up.

Smoke for an hr or 2 at 250 F with apple and finish off on the grill or TBE if ya have one and pull off the heat when the IT hits 160 F.

Let rest for about 20 min then pull,,,,,,skin and all.

Edit; keet that vent wide open.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: OU812 on February 17, 2012, 07:38:38 AM
I rarely brine chicken.

What I like to do with split chicken breasts is peal the skin back and apply some rub to the meat then put the skin back in place and rub some seanut oil on the skin then apply more rub.

Let the rubed breasts sit at room temp wile the smoker warms up.

Smoke for an hr or 2 at 250 F with apple and finish off on the grill or TBE if ya have one and pull off the heat when the IT hits 160 F.

Let rest for about 20 min then pull,,,,,,skin and all.

Edit; keet that vent wide open.
That seanut oil must be high end, never seen or hear of it. :D

Edit: I found some. You can make brittle out of it

;) :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

OU812

Whoops  ;D

And its hard to keet the vent open too.  ::)

mikecorn.1

Quote from: OU812 on February 17, 2012, 01:31:57 PM
Whoops  ;D

I saw that one also but left it alone   :-X. I made a whoops one time and got called out on it, I had it coming  ;D. I put down Country Treet instead of Carolina Treet  :o  WHOA, THAT ONE IS WAY OFF.  ;D  ::)

Country Treet
Mike

OU812

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on February 17, 2012, 01:41:29 PM
Quote from: OU812 on February 17, 2012, 01:31:57 PM
Whoops  ;D

I saw that one also but left it alone   :-X. I made a whoops one time and got called out on it, I had it coming  ;D. I put down Country Treet instead of Carolina Treet  :o  WHOA, THAT ONE IS WAY OFF.  ;D  ::)

Country Treet

All in good fun. ;D

steve-o

I just put the birds in my smoker 6 breasts with old faithful 'Jan's Rub' (time to make another batch) and EVOO. And while at the store they had a sale on turkey breats so I bought 2 of them. 1 I coated with 'Tutu's Pantry Coffee Rub' a friend of mine brought back from Hawaii and the other with "Tom Douglas Rub with Love Chicken Rub' I picked up at Pike's Place Market in Seattle. I am using Crown Royal wood.

In the meantime I may whip up a batch of 10.5's Bulldog BBQ Sauce  ;D

mikecorn.1

Nice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

SnellySmokesEm

Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

steve-o

The weather was starting to piss me off (rainy and windy) so I decided to finish them off in the oven. The chicken is out and resting, and the turkey just has a few more degrees to go. And the BBQ sauce is done and tastes GREAT.

My g/f is gonna be comin over shortly so we'll have some chicken sandwiches and I plan to slice up the turkey tomorrow for sandwich meat  ;D ;D