smoking chuck tenders (chuck roast)

Started by frankthetank1983, April 18, 2011, 07:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankthetank1983

Hi Guys im looking to smoke 2 chuck tenders, but havnt got the best idea of how to do it. I have looked on the forum and a few people are doing 17lb beasts but mine are much smaller.

I would like to know the best way to smoke them, what woods work well and how long and at what temp?

oH im a newbie smoker as well not dont many smoke outs yet but slowly getting there.

photos to follow ;)

OldHickory

Welcome to the forum Frank.  Arnie posted some beautiful pics of a chuck steak he did, maybe a week or so back.  Made me hungry just looking at his pics.  Hopefully he will be along and post some help for you...  I have to put chuck in a pot with some fluid just to get it tender enough to eat.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

frankthetank1983

Ha ha that what i was afraid of that it would be as tough as old boot leather,

I got a great deal 3 chuck roasts for £15 from a butcher friend and he suggested braising in liquid like you.

Just fancied putting my smoker through its paces. If it is cooked long and slow lets hope its not to bad.

ArnieM

Hi Frank and welcome to the forum.

Mine was actually a rump roast - from the other end of the cow.  :D  This is the thread I posted.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=21820.msg265037#msg265037

I may have lucked out and just got a good piece of meat.  I ran what was left through the slicer, really thin, and it made good roast beef sandwiches.

I usually prefer oak on beef but to each their own. 

You could try putting some smoke on it and then boating it (wrapped up in foil) with some liquid and continue cooking to an IT of 185-195o F.  Still no guarantees on how it will come out but it should taste good.

Good luck.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Welcome aboard, Frank!

Check out this 'Pepper Stout Chuck' that begolf25 did last year.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=19030.0

frankthetank1983

cheers guys ill let you know how it turns out, i cant wait but have to for another week before doing it as i wont have time as off to amsterdam. When i get it up and running ill post pics cheers guys