First Try with Bradley

Started by Sacrifice, January 30, 2005, 04:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sacrifice

I bought my Bradley last Monday and have been waiting to use it since then.  I invited my brother and his family over for dinner tonight and cooked two racks of pork ribs and two whole chickens.  I did a rub for the ribs last night but only put a rub on the chickens a few hours prior to cooking them.  The rub was just a mix of different sugar and spices that I usually use when I BBQ or rotisserie.

It was 30 degrees out and I needed to dig a place for the Bradley on my upper deck that has almost 3 feet of snow on it. (The beach umbrella was to keep the snow from falling on the Bradley - it was kind of cute.)

Before the smoke.

After the smoke.

Overall impression:  Everyone was going mmmmmm, and ohohohohoh, and "I have never tasted anything that good".  6 adults and only a few ribs and 3/4 bird left.  <i><u><b>NO FAT</b></u></i> was in the ribs!!!!.  Moist, juicey, and <b>very </b>easy to do.  

I did overcook the ribs by about 30 minutes but I figure that I would have undercooked them if I had opened the door to check.  The chickens were perfect.   I placed BBQ sauce on the table for dipping and 50% used it and the others said it was good without the sauce.  The only negative - the chicken skin tasted like poo[:p].

The temperature maxed out at 208 after two hours.  I used hickory and alder with one maple.  Total cooking time was 5 hours, with 30 minutes resting under foil.  I put 3.5 hours of pucks in but they actually lasted 5 hours.  There was a lot of moisture in the air which the pucks absorbed.

For those deciding if they should get a Bradley - Get one - today![8D]

Next week - beef.

nsxbill

Looks like an Igloo smoker, cut out perfectly to fit the smoke generator.  Glad it was successful.  It is always a triumph when your first attempt is successful and everyone is pleased.

Welcome aboard.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Cold Smoke

I'm glad you're having fun and wowing your guests. I love it when people post pictures of their stuff~~not of themselves~~ but of their smokes.[;)][8D][:D] If I don't go ice-fishing tomorrow I'm planning to smoke a butt and I am dying to try some ribs. The grill is on the fritz...the propane line blew- I guess it's not built to work in -80F weather.

BTW- I'll be looking for northerner's suggestions on a possible replacement. Maybe BGE- ???? I've seen a few nice Webers and Vermont Castings..

Cold Smoke

Oldman

Sacrifice.
Nice Job! If you have any recipes your are proud let us know and we will add them to the collection!
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Stan.  Great pics--I'm glad your first try was such a success.  Where do you hail from?  That snow looks awfully familiar . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

MallardWacker

GREAT pics, thanks for sharing this with us.  To tell you what, that has to be the best air~brake I have ever seen.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Sacrifice

JJC - I live in Juneau, Alaska.  It usually does not snow that much, but it seems that nature is making up for the nice summer we had.  Its going to snow again today [V]