Take 1 Striped Marlin

Started by Gamefish, January 29, 2010, 08:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamefish

As most of you know since the innovation of the V8 Smokehouse (smoke generator thread, I have itching at the feet to smoke a marlin ;)

Well, finally the opportunity came as a friend landed his marlin solo, so the phone call was made, Gamefish is going to smoke that ;D

so the process began, took about an hour to chunk it up and then sprinkled Maple Cure and rubbed Maple syrup into the slabs and left in the fridge for 24 hours

Next morning loaded the smoker about 7am

Still haven't managed to fill it yet as this fish only dented half of it ::)

Anyway set the generators and loaded it with apple wood, as i have found in the past this gives a great flavour

went back to work and came back about lunchtime to do a routine check smoker was hovering around 75C

Starting to look the part about half way there and the smell was devine ;)

left it until about 5pm and this is what evolved :o

some of the most moist striped Marlin I have ever tasted and was wrapped with the results to say the least

in total about 9 hours with 5 hours of smoke

Now I only have to go and catch my own and hope i can pull one that will fill this beast 8)

seaeagle2

I used the same technique, and mine turned out excellent, I only had enough to fill one rack in a regular 4 rack smoker though.
"If people worried about the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Tenpoint5

Gamefish I don't believe it was moist and flavorful!!! I will continue to call you a liar until you send me a "CHUNK" to test and verify that it is in fact moist and flavorful!!

That looks great. Wish I could try some. Glad the Big V-8 doesn't even sweat thinking about a fish that size.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Gamefish

Ha Ha Ha if only i could send you some from down here, tell you what if you are ever down this way look me up  ;), i will put some aside for you  8)

Tenpoint5

I'm guessing your pretty safe with that one. If I remember right your in New Zealand and I dont see any Stag hunting trips in my future. I know I wouldn't fly that far just for some fish. (Still say your lying ;D ;D)

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Gamefish

;D Tenpoint5 the stag hunting down here is exceptional and the pig hunting, in fact we are going to do a mission today with wild pig and fellow, stay tuned ;)

Tenpoint5

Caribou

Gamefish!
Great pictorial :)
Brought back fond memories because every summer my dad would have a striped marlin smoked then tag and release the rest that he caught.
Carolyn

Gamefish

Hi Carolyn, thats pretty much what we do down here, one for the start of the season then the rest are tagged and released for next year 8)

Caribou

It is really good stuff! :)
The oil content really lends it self to being smoked.
Carolyn

unclefish

nice catch thats what i like to see, we hade a good year up here in the north east. had atleast 15 blue and white marlin on this year only got 4 to the boat and released, they say a nice white marlin is good for smokin. you smoke any yellowfin tuna or wahoo ????,have any tips on wood to use or how to,cure and rub it before you smoke it. i can't wait to try this summer.

Kummok

That is some fine looking meat, Gamefish! Sure wish King Salmon came that big....I've just GOTTA quit putting it off and head down under.

seaeagle2

La Paz is only a few hours from Seattle, the marlin aren't as big, but they're out there.
"If people worried about the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Gamefish

Quote from: unclefish on January 30, 2010, 06:39:29 PM
   nice catch thats what i like to see, we hade a good year up here in the north east. had atleast 15 blue and white marlin on this year only got 4 to the boat and released, they say a nice white marlin is good for smokin. you smoke any yellowfin tuna or wahoo ????,have any tips on wood to use or how to,cure and rub it before you smoke it. i can't wait to try this summer.

Unclefish, we catch Yellowfin down here and have smoked a few, i use a pretty simple method and found the best is to sprinkle the Bradley maple Cure over the slabs and rub maple syrup into it and leave in the fridge for 24 hours, then smoke it in Maple or Apple wood as this gives the oily fillets a great flavour, we only smoke for about 3 hours then raise the temp to 91 degrees for another 3 hours and it comes out great ;)

Kummok

Great advice SE2!  I've fished off Baja but never for marlin...just have always had a hankering to see New Zealand (and Australia!)