The 6 rack just not getting the job done

Started by smokeinBC, September 15, 2013, 04:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeinBC

frustration is the word best to describe the 6 rack smoker.  This smoker just doesn't heat up enough to get the job done. why the heck wouldn't  they add another element over the 4 rack!

roasts take 18-20  hours   The back ribs that are cooking now --- 6 hours later they are not even ready to be wrapped for another 2 hours.

I think I'm done playing with this toy!   It's more of an easy bake oven then a smoker.

another round of wasted dried out meat!

KyNola

Quote from: smokeinBC on September 15, 2013, 04:54:55 PM
frustration is the word best to describe the 6 rack smoker.  This smoker just doesn't heat up enough to get the job done. why the heck wouldn't  they add another element over the 4 rack!

roasts take 18-20  hours   The back ribs that are cooking now --- 6 hours later they are not even ready to be wrapped for another 2 hours.

I think I'm done playing with this toy!   It's more of an easy bake oven then a smoker.

another round of wasted dried out meat!
No, patience and education are the words to describe the Bradley Smoker.  It's not a microwave oven.  It's not your house oven.  It is a smoker.  Smoking meats is done at a low temperature for a long time.  That's where the term "low and slow" comes from.

As I see it, you have two choices.  Learn how to properly smoke food in your Bradley or sell it and rid and yourself of your frustration.  Life is too short.

I don't mean to sound harsh but those are your two options.  I sincerely hope you choose the first option but if you don't, I wish you well and understand your decision.  Not everyone is cut out for the Bradley.

rveal23

I just cooked 3 racks of ribs yesterday doing the 321 method and they came out perfect. I cooked at 240 the whole time!  And of course took 6 hrs doing that method
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Saber 4

KyNola put it best, there is a lot to learn on the Bradley compared to a higher heat smoker, however, there is a ton of knowledge here and we will try our best to help you get the most out of your 6 rack. Although he is also correct in that it may not be for you and if isn't there's nothing wrong with putting it on craigslist and moving it on to someone else. I know that I have learned a ton from everyone here and have managed to follow their suggestions close enough to not screw things up and turn out some food that we like. 

smokeinBC

well I'm still at it.  started at 11:00 and still have at least an hour maybe two....so i'm giving up and finishing on the bbq

it comes down to a poor design.  the smoker just doesn't get hot enough. rarely over 210  and with two other thermometers it's completely unreliable.

Bradley is too cheap to put a larger element in the 6 rack...which is needed.

Hey it's not just me.  Do a search of reviews on the 6 rack.   

beezer

this would be typical performance out of the box. The forum is filled with similar frustration(including my own).
In order to achieve productive results you need to add a second element, add a PID controller, and maybe even a fan.
I would be a happier customer is Bradley offered these as purchased options as opposed to letting the user find out for themselves.

KyNola

Quote from: smokeinBC on September 15, 2013, 07:16:09 PM
well I'm still at it.  started at 11:00 and still have at least an hour maybe two....so i'm giving up and finishing on the bbq
it comes down to a poor design.  the smoker just doesn't get hot enough. rarely over 210  and with two other thermometers it's completely unreliable.
Bradley is too cheap to put a larger element in the 6 rack...which is needed.
Hey it's not just me.  Do a search of reviews on the 6 rack.
By chance, do you have your vent closed and keep opening the door to check on how things are going?
If you answer yes to either of those questions that's part of your issue.  If you answered yes to both of those questions that's definitely the issue along with a lack of or limited experience with a Bradley smoker.

We will be happy to help you if you want to put in the time but if your frustration level is to a point where you just want to be rid of it, there is a section on the forum where you can list it for sale.

NePaSmoKer

You dont need a second element if you know how your smoker works. Its not a set it and forget it Ronco POS Nor is it a stick or charcoal burner. Learn how the Bradley works.

rveal23

There are tons of tricks/tips that you can learn on here to have all your smoked food turn out amazing.. You have to reach out and find it here.  Everyone has a massive knowledge base for pretty much anything you are looking to cook. 

Have you tried to see what your temperature gets to when you set it to the max and have the box empty for at least an hour?  If you have, what were your results? 
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

STLstyle

BC,
I love my 6 rack.
Bbq takes time.  Especially pork butt.  Open your vent.  If you're lookin you ain't cookin.

Ribs should be done in 6 hours.  3-2-1 works great in a stock 6 rack.

You've been given good advise.  The rest is up to you.  I hope you learn enjoy your 6 rack.
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

ssherman

Once I got all the connections tight, I had no problem getting up to 235°-245° in my 6-rack digital.  Just to state the obvious, these things are not designed for rapid cooking, it's low and slow without much peeking or you will undermine your attempt.  Good luck.
What is the ground drag coefficient of an unhusked turtle?

pondee

I had similar concerns with my first smoke with the BDS4.  A small chuck roast, about 4#.  Couldn't believe how long it took.  Several hours.  Over smoked it, 4 hours of mesquite is too much in my book, and under cooked it.  After 6 hours pulled it at an IT of 150 +/- and FTC for several hours as the wife had other plans.  Several observations.  Fours hours of mesquite is too much.  2 hours with several beef short ribs, OK.  You can't rush the cooking. The chuck had to go much longer to be edible.  Braising the next day in a pasta sauce made it better. It will take its time.  You cant hurry the sun rise, the tide,   nor your meat.  Its a Zen thing.  Be one with the smoke, the machine and the meat.  Start way earlier than you think you should.  If it's done early, it will FTC for a very long time.  Once you set your clock to that of the smoke, things will get easier and better.  Be one with the smoke, relax and let good things happen.  ciao

Saber 4

Quote from: pondee on September 17, 2013, 03:07:57 PM
I had similar concerns with my first smoke with the BDS4.  A small chuck roast, about 4#.  Couldn't believe how long it took.  Several hours.  Over smoked it, 4 hours of mesquite is too much in my book, and under cooked it.  After 6 hours pulled it at an IT of 150 +/- and FTC for several hours as the wife had other plans.  Several observations.  Fours hours of mesquite is too much.  2 hours with several beef short ribs, OK.  You can't rush the cooking. The chuck had to go much longer to be edible.  Braising the next day in a pasta sauce made it better. It will take its time.  You cant hurry the sun rise, the tide,   nor your meat.  Its a Zen thing.  Be one with the smoke, the machine and the meat.  Start way earlier than you think you should.  If it's done early, it will FTC for a very long time.  Once you set your clock to that of the smoke, things will get easier and better.  Be one with the smoke, relax and let good things happen.  ciao

The Force is strong with this one Obi-Wan....

tskeeter

Smoke, looking at your comments, I wonder if part of your issue might be inadequate power supply?  Yes, the Bradley is designed as a low temperature smoker, but for baby back ribs to take eight hours is a bit unusual. 

If your Bradley is on a circuit that has other things on it, such as refrigerators or freezers, you can be "starving" your Bradley.  Your Bradley will draw about 5 1/4 amps.  That is about half of the capacity of the standard 15 amp circuit (capacity of a standard circuit rated at 15 amps is 12 amps).  Throw something else on the circuit with the Bradley and there is a good chance the circuit is over loaded and unable to provide the power the Bradley needs.

The same applies if you are using an extension cord.  If you are using an extension cord, you probably want to be using at least a 14 gauge cord.  12 gauge is better.  And you want to keep the cord as short as possible.

Another thought, has it been windy when you are smoking?  I live on the windy eastern slopes of the Sierras and I found that wind just seemed to suck the heat out of my Bradley.  Since strong wind is an every afternoon occurrence here, I resorted to the dual element mod.  If wind is not as common in your area, protecting the smoker from heat loss with a simple cardboard wind screen can help quite a bit.

Yancey

I had a similar problem with my 4 rack initially.  About 80 degrees F above ambient was about all I could muster.  After reading some suggestions here I found that the main heating element was not working.  All of the heat was coming from the smoke generator.  Turned out I was not making good electrical connections from the generator to the cabinet.   Firmly seating them solved the problem.  My heating element began to glow nicely red.  The unit can now get much hotter than required for low and slow if I need that.  Good luck!