Frying the mavrick probe......

Started by tturaider, April 27, 2008, 09:34:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tturaider

I have now fried two maverick probes and both of em were the food probe.  Has anyone else had this same trouble and know how to keep from doing this??? ??? ???
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

Wildcat

I have not had this problem.  By "fried" I assume you mean by high heat.  If this is the case, lower the heat.  If you are not subjecting the probe to high heat, then my guess is that you are allowing moisture to get into it, i.e. spraying juice onto the probe where the wire is crimped to the probe, or getting it wet when cleaning.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Ontrack

Thanks for the advice, Wildcat. I'm pretty wreckless with a spray bottle, although I try to watch what I'm doing when I clean it.

FLBentRider

I'm on my second set of probes - they seem to not like water, especially at the joint were the wire meets the probe.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

tturaider

Thanks wildcat ive never thought about the water damaging it when I clean it.  Hell I usually just dump em in a sink of soapy water to clean em.  Guess Ill quit doing that!!!

westexasmoker

I hate it when I fry my probe  ;D J/K, so when spritz'n you should avoid the temp probe....Heck I wish thats all I fried this weekend...See other thread, so depressed

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smoking Duck

You shouldn't submerse your probes (either of them) when cleaning.  I just use a wet soapy cloth to clean em when I'm done but I don't believe either probes were made to be submersed.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Gizmo

Smoking Duck is spot on with the probes should not be submersed.  The wire ends are not sealed and the water will flow down into the thermocouple and damage it.  The amazing thing for me, is on my older sunbeam probe (15 years old or so), I use to toss it in a sink filled with wated while doing dishes all the time.  I suspect they used a good sealing compound in the end before crimping to secure the wire from pulling out.  I don't think any of them do that these days.  It would add 1/10 of a cent to the manufacturing cost but worse than that, you would not need to give them more or your hard earn cash for a new probe.  Of course, the damage to the probe is your fault for getting it wet, so just give em mo money. :-[ 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Consiglieri

I fried a meat probe cooking a prime rib on the grill.  Meat needed high heat; probe shouldn't be exposed to heat near 400F.
Consiglieri

HCT

I just ruined my first probe and after reading everybody elses same deal it really pisses me off. $30-40 shot because the stinkin' manufacturer can't make the piece right. And to add to it, they don't even warn you of potential problems. >:( >:(
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Smoking Duck

It's actually written in the documentation that comes with the ET-73.....which surprises the heck outta me that I read it because like most men, I never read the instructions.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

HCT

I have the Bradley probe which I still couldn't figure out how to use to my advantage. I used it a handful of times just wipping the probe with a sponge, never submerged. Now that I want to check the directions I can't find them but I must have read them a hundred times. A very frustrating pice of crap.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Wildcat

Quote from: HCT on April 28, 2008, 05:42:22 AM
I have the Bradley probe which I still couldn't figure out how to use to my advantage. I used it a handful of times just wipping the probe with a sponge, never submerged. Now that I want to check the directions I can't find them but I must have read them a hundred times. A very frustrating pice of crap.

I find it useful when monitoring the internal temp when useing more than 1 rack and as a back-up.  Also, if you cannot remember the rare, medium, and well temps for different meats, it does give you a rough estimate.  Mine is fairly accurate.

tturaider

Well the first one that i fried im pretty sure was due to heat...was doing a beer but chicken on the grill.  But the second on i was smoking some pork butt and it got hot.  Will letting it touch the side of the box ruin it as well cuz im fairly sure that may be what happened to mine.  Probably along with soaking it in soapy water.

Wildcat