Mashed potatoes???????

Started by rdevous, October 14, 2009, 01:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdevous

Just curious.... ???.....mashed potatoes.....with or without lumps????

I like mine without any lumps and with garlic powder and lots of butter!  Salt and pepper.........gravy not required.

Ray
If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

classicrockgriller

Smooth bumpy humpy lumpy fried smashed with or without gravey

NePaSmoKer

A couple Thanksgivings ago i was home alone, I did smoked mashed taters. Smooth or Lumpy  (sorry Lumpy) its all good.

nepas

HawkeyeSmokes

A little lumpy for me please. And gravy!  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

Hi Ray,

There are probably about as many recipes for mashed potatoes as there are potato varieties (thousands).

I like texture in mine which means some small lumps.  At least then I know they're real potatoes, not stuff that comes out of a box.

Here's a simple recipe, if you like garlic.  Put about 2 medium-large cloves of somewhat smashed garlic per potato (I use medium sized russets, peeled and cubed).  Bring to a boil and add about 1/4 teaspoon salt per potato - less if you're cutting down.  Melt down, or at least bring to room temp, about 1 TBS butter (I use salted here) per two potatoes.  Drain the potatoes, then back in the pot and add the butter along with some fresh ground black pepper.  It's wide open from here.  I've used softened cream cheese, milk, cream, half and half and buttermilk (not all at once ;D).  A few chives don't hurt either.  I hand mash.  I really don't like them whipped.  Add some gravy or a pat of butter on top.

I prefer russets for mashing.  Yukon Gold or Red are better for a slow cook, IMHO.  However you do it, they can't be beat!
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Hopefull Romantic

I love mine smooth as silk. The only lumps I like in there are the smoked mashed garlic cloves that I add in.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

OU812

We like them whipped over here.

KevinG

About bb size lumps for me please. :D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

Habs syracuse potatoes into a mashed tater........hmmm

Smokin Soon

Ditto on the Habs, Smoosh with some Liptons Onion Soup mix and some Butter.......Yum!

ArnieM

Did more tonight.  Three medium russets, five cloves of garlic.  A few TBS of butter, three ounces room temp cream cheese and a little buttermilk.  Hand mashed.  They went with my roast beef from last Sunday (just can't get rid of the stuff), thin beef gravy with chipotle and cumin and buttered asparagus. 

I can't wait to get my vac sealer so I don't have to keep eating the same stuff all week.  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

Cut what you buy in two halves so you can smoke twice the amount