1st time smoking

Started by CAT COUNTRY, December 30, 2010, 02:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CAT COUNTRY

I received a Bradley Smoker for Christmas and made a batch of Jimmy Kimmel Smoked Buffalo Wings that i found the recipe for on this site,if you close your vent off will it make whatever you are smoking drier or if you have your vent open all the way will it leave your food moist,i found my wings were a bit dry because i closed the vent off thinking you would get a much better smoke flavor in the process.

Any input would be great

FLBentRider

With poultry you want the vent wide open to release moisture.

Closing the vent all the way will cause smoke to back up into your smoke generator and gum it up.

Excess moisture will also condense in your cabinet and rain black stuff on your food.

If your wings were dry, I would suggest brining them.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

TestRocket

You can't think of your Bradley like any other wood or charcoal smoker where your use the vent to help control temp. Many of us leave the vent wide open and never touch it and most will say never close it more then about half way.  We like PICS! Good luck!

Habanero Smoker

Hi Cat Country,
Welcome to the forum.

It's hard to dry out wings. It sounds like you may have cooked them too long. I'm not one who believes moist air equals moist food. But with poultry as other's have pointed out; you want to keep the vent at least 3/4 open during the at least most of the cook time.

Here are is a guideline on vent settings for an unmodified smoker:
Vent Settings

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SouthernSmoked

Welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team