storing pucks

Started by pfowl01, August 08, 2006, 05:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pfowl01

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone stores their pucks outside...say in the garage? Would the changeing temps effect the pucks at all? Or is it just better to store them indoors?

begolf25

I store my pucks in my garage inside a cabinet.  Haven't had a problem yet.

Habanero Smoker

It depends on where you live. If you live in a humid area, you need to take extra precautions when storing them. Although the bisquettes are shrinked wrapped, the packaging is not moisture proof. I found these plastic storage boxes made by a company call Sterilite. The model name is Show Offs. They come in different sizes. The size I buy is #1894. They are the perfect size to hold a full box of 120 bisquettes. These boxes give an extra protection against relative humidity and moisture, so that I can store them in my shed.

I've also made labels including graphics and names of the bisquettes, so that I can easily identify what flavor each box contains. For example for Oak I use a graphic of an acorn with the word oak underneath; maple is relatively easy, I use a graphic of a maple leaf; or with mesquite I use a graphic of a devil :). The graphics help identify the contents in dim light or when you are farther away. After opening a shrink wrapped package, I place the loose bisquettes in a resalable quart size plastic bag.

I either buy my Sterilite boxes from a local grocery chain Price Chopper, because that is most convenient for me. You can also find them in craft stores such as Michael's or Jo Ann's. A lot of times Michael's has them marked down.

http://www.sterilite.com/Category.html?Section=Storage&ProductCategory=42#

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smudge

Can I see your icon of a cherry? :o

manxman

I store my pucks in the house, I found they were absorbing moisture in the garage, particularly in the winter. As already mentioned it depends very much on where you live.

Found the FoodSaver vacuum sealer useful, I tend to buy pucks in bulk and as HS says, the original packaging is not necessarily moisture proof. I now repackage and label using vacuum sealer bags, my most common length of time smoking is 4 hours but occasionally it is down to 2 hours and occasionally as high as 8 hours so I seal a variety of quantities, mainly 4 hour or 12 pucks but a few of other quantities as well.

Rarely do mixed wood smokes but just open the bag and reseal if necessary.

This works well for me.  :)
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Smudge on August 09, 2006, 06:39:09 AM
Never had the need to create that graphic ;)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Food Saver also makes canisters for flour, sugar, etc that you can suck the air out of. They work well if you use a lot of bicuits. Sounds like Hab has a good system going also.

pfowl01

Thanks for the replys everyone :D I live in Minnesota....it can get pretty humid here, so I think I'll leave them in the house. Thanks again everyone ;D

Chez Bubba

Quote from: Smudge on August 09, 2006, 06:39:09 AM
Hey Newbie! No stealin' my thunder! >:(

Good one! ;D ;D ;D

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?