Help...Cure 1 or 2 For Cold-Smoked Kolbasz?

Started by SmokeLovin, March 13, 2009, 07:45:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokeLovin

Hello,

I'll be making batch of Hungarian cold-smoked kolbasz sausages this weekend and I need some advice please on the type of curing salt I should use. The recipe I have is from someone who passed on a few years ago and it makes no reference to the type of salt I should use. The ratio in the recipe is 50g of curing salt per/100 Kg pork shoulder. The sausages will be heavily spiced with garlic and sweet Hungarian paprika, hung for a couple days in cold storage, then cold-smoked in my Bradley Original. The sausages will then be left to air-dry in cold storage. There's a dry-goods place near me that sells small bags of "sodium nitrate", which I think is the principle ingredient in Prague powder #2. Will this do? Or should I be looking for Prague powder #1? Any advice is much appreciated!!

Smokin Soon

From my understanding, that is a dry cured sausage and will require Prague #2 cure. Someone will be along to confirm this.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: SmokeLovin on March 13, 2009, 07:45:58 AM
Hello,

I'll be making batch of Hungarian cold-smoked kolbasz sausages this weekend and I need some advice please on the type of curing salt I should use. The recipe I have is from someone who passed on a few years ago and it makes no reference to the type of salt I should use. The ratio in the recipe is 50g of curing salt per/100 Kg pork shoulder. The sausages will be heavily spiced with garlic and sweet Hungarian paprika, hung for a couple days in cold storage, then cold-smoked in my Bradley Original. The sausages will then be left to air-dry in cold storage. There's a dry-goods place near me that sells small bags of "sodium nitrate", which I think is the principle ingredient in Prague powder #2. Will this do? Or should I be looking for Prague powder #1? Any advice is much appreciated!!

Yours sounds like a dry cured sausage you would use cure #2.

5 lbs use 1 teaspoon cure 2
10 lbs use 2 teaspoons cure 2
25 lbs use 5 teaspoons cure 2

Cure #1 is used for smoking where the temps are 140* and the same amounts above.

nepas

SmokeLovin

Hi Nepas and SmokinSoon - thanks very much for you're advice. I'll let you know how it all turns out!

SmokeLovin

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!