Google Apps (Gmail) vs Microsoft Hosted Exchange

Started by begolf25, January 06, 2011, 11:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

begolf25

This is WAY off topic for this board but was curious if any of you have had experience using both of these email services. We currently used Microsoft Hosted Exchange for our email but are considering switching to Gmail. For the features we use as a business Gmail seems to have everything we need.

Just hoping to get some feedback from anyone with experience.

Thanks,

Bryan

thirtydaZe

i don't know what Hosted Exchange is, but i can tell you that when my wife and i updated our phones to android from blackberry they strongly suggested that we go to gmail because verizon didn't play nice with cox cable who is also our internet provider.

let me say that at first i was pissed about this, but once my emails quit showing up i forced the change upon myself.

now, i couldn't be happier.  gmail, to me is awesome.  i love it, have made it my primary account, and have absolutely zero complaints.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

beefmann

cant  speak  for Microsoft  exchange, however i have  used g mail and do recommend it.,  though i have never  used it with any phone plans

HawkeyeSmokes

I've been using gmail for 5 years and love it.

The spam filter is the best I've seen and their virus scan seems to work well.
HawkeyeSmokes

hal4uk

Another option (what I do) is to use an email client (like Outlook), and use your own domain...
You might prefer this, because [email protected] looks more professional than something like [email protected].

--------------
For those of you in Yorba Linda... 
Don't send anything to those addresses.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Brisket Lover

That's one of the great features of google apps. You can keep your mail domain but use gmail. It's a win win.

begolf25

That is what we were planning on doing since we want to keep our domain. With hosted exchange we have a Sharepoint site that allows us to share documents and manage tasks and projects. It looks like we can do that with Google Docs. We also utilize sharing calenders in Outlook. I know this is a reported weakness in Google Apps but from what I have seen you can also share calenders now.

thirtydaZe

Quote from: Brisket Lover on January 06, 2011, 08:44:13 PM
That's one of the great features of google apps. You can keep your mail domain but use gmail. It's a win win.

what exactly is google apps?  i googled  ;D it, and am looking at it, but don't want to proceed without more detail.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16