NC BBQ

Started by bflosmoke, January 05, 2009, 03:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

I found this at Amazingribs.com.  Perhaps this is the sauce you had?

SD

East Carolina Vinegar Sauce

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

FLBentRider

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 07, 2009, 09:34:07 AM
I found this at Amazingribs.com.  Perhaps this is the sauce you had?

SD

East Carolina Vinegar Sauce

That sounds like vaunted vinegar.

When I lived in the Carolinas,  there would be "heated words" over east carolina BBQ vs west carolina BBQ, etc... I wish I could remember the nuances, but at this point in my day... not going to happen...

I used to judge the "BBQ potential" of a place by how run down the building was. If they had time for maintenance, they were not working on the "Q"

;D ;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

To be honest, all the vinegar sauces seem about the same.  I say let them argue while you and I are shoving the Q down our face faster than a fat man on an ice cream cone!  ;D  I agree with you, FL.  I don't mind run-down joints at all.....seems like they're used more and that's what I want!

SD

Smokin Soon

I have also discovered that all pepper flakes are not the same. The ones that really work are Korean Pepper Flakes. Hard to find in some areas.

IKnowWood

Agree on Pepper flakes.  Penzy has a good number of variety and its hard to chose which I like the most.  I like heat and the allepo is high on my list right now.  But it changes, as the pods do based on climate.

As for run down.  I can understand that.  There used to be a great place in Annapolis MD (not know for good Q) in a back county area that had a window order that eventually added screens for the small deck.  It was fabulous,  real run down looking but its Beef Q was to die for.  They had a bad fire and lost most of the structure.  They rebuilt and inclosed the screens with windows and added some tables and color outside.  Still window order, inside.  Business slowed.  Its been almost a year since I drove past the place, I am not sure its still there.

Place in Myrtle Beach SC opened a couple years ago, a BBQ joint/Bar in a mulit-bar complex.  Locals loved it, we went there twice in summer.  Q was out of this world and quantity to price perfect. But 6 months later, they closed for remodel and never re-opened.  it was real nice and flashy with joint Harley shop next door.  The Harley shop lasted a few months after the Q place closed.  Sad, many great Q shops in Myrtle Beach are gone now.  Guess i am thankful for my Portable Bradley and Vac sealed and frozen stuff. 
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

FLBentRider

SD,
It seems like the arguments came down to mustard. Some love it, some not so much.

IKW,
There used to be this really run down place on highway 78 between Charleston and Summerville that was awesome. I don't know if it is still there, I left in 94.

I'll be in Myrlte beach this summer, I will probably take a frozen butt.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

IKW,

I'll bet there are a bunch of old run down crab shacks still left around.  I'll tell you this much, for me, there is not a better time than when crab season is in.  When I was stationed in Maryland for a little while, 4 of us would buy a bushel of crabs and a case of beer.  It was the best time ever and I can still taste licking off the Old Bay seasoning from my fingers.  That's one of the eating experiences I truly miss living out here in Indiana where Long John Silvers is considered a great seafood experience  :(

SD

JDNC

I agree with SD,  I really don't see a big diff in most vinegar sauces.  As I live in NC (about an hr or so from Lexington) and am also a native of the state, I've tasted a few.  The only diff I'm aware of is as you go farther south and into South Carolina you find the mustard type.  I have noticed that some vinegar sauces use more or less paprika and chili powder but that's about it. Now..as I think of it, I don't know if I've tasted a BBQ sauce anywhere I didn't like (NC or not)!

JD