smoking some salt, paprika, anything else?

Started by squirtthecat, October 08, 2009, 06:25:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Based on some older posts, and an excellent tip from a new member yesterday (using coffee filters to hold the spices), I'm going to smoke up a bunch of Salt & Paprika this weekend.

Questions..

- cold smoke, correct?   I don't have the 'setup', so I'm going to leave the cabinet off and put a small pan of ice in.

- how much smoke?  I'm thinking at least 6 hours of Oak/Pecan.

- Water in the bowl?  Yes, No, Maybe?

- anything else in the cupboard worth smoking?  Peppercorns, perhaps?  Garlic salt?  I've got a huge bottle of Garlic Salt w/ Parsley flakes that I've never opened..

I'm going to borrow ;) some big commercial sized coffee filters from the office to hold everything.

As always, thanks in advance for tips/advice..

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Hey, this might be a good time to try some cheese as well!  Should be cool enough outside, and we'll be on vacation in SC soon, so the 2 week wait will go quickly.

Hopefull Romantic

Hey squirt.

Unless you are going for some cheese and if you are not going to rig a make do CS I would not put the ice because it would melt from the SG heat and I would not think it would effect that much because nothing will melt.

I would think 2 - 3 hours would be enough

Water in the ball. Yes

How about Coffee since you are going to use the filters I would do some coffee and try. My sister in law put that in my mind yesterday.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

NePaSmoKer

When i do paprika, onion and garlic powder i use a foil cake pan with cold smoke for 2 hours, no water in the pan. When i do salt i use non-iodized or sea salt. Dissolve 2 cups of the salt with 1.5 cups water. Pour this onto an old cookie sheet. Here you can put a small amount of water in the pan. Use hickory 3 hrs with 150* heat until the salt solution is evaporated and you have smoked salt scale in the cookie sheet. This can take several hours to do, my longest was almost 10 hrs.

If you like super smokey salt use more wood. Dont do the salt in a foil container, Glass is ok too.

nepas

squirtthecat

Cool, thanks guys.

I'm going to try a salt/paprika/black peppercorn/peanut/cheese combination..  I picked up small blocks of swiss, colby and mild cheddar today, and I have a bag of peanuts left over from the baseball game.

I'll pull the cheese out earlier than the other stuff.