smoking summer sausage?

Started by Cope30tyee, January 08, 2014, 11:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cope30tyee

his and gals,

I'm about to some summer sausage.  Seeing as the  casings  aren't eaten and it doesn't appear that air can  pass pass  through  the casings,  does it absorb  the smoke?   when I try to blow air through the casings I can't.  is it a waste of time to smoke it?  I would like it to have a nice smoked flavor.

thanks!

Justin

renoman

The smoke will absorb through the casings just fine. Give them 2-3 hrs of smoke and leave the casings on for at least a few days if not until you eat them.

josbocc

Cope,

Agree with Renoman.  Make sure that you soak them casings in warm water before stuffing them, give 'em plenty of healthy Bradley smoke love, and follow the rest of the directions that are given with whatever seasoning that you are using.  They will turn out fine.

I just tried Bear Summer Sausage for the first time about a month ago.  Approx. 12 lbs. bear meat, 13 lbs. pork shoulder, and LEM's summer sausage seasoning.  Smoked for three hours using Hickory, and finished right in the Bradley.  The recipients of the Holiday Season Summer Sausage were very, very happy.  Turned out awesome.  Don't forget to throw a little Hungarian Hot Paprika in with the mix, it adds a little "Pop" to you SS.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

TheHardWay

As mentioned, the smoke will absorb.  I've found that smoking for even longer (6-6.5 hours) during he cooking process yields the perfect result.  The end product isn't as smokey as you would think.  As a matter of fact, I'm doing a batch of elk SS right now.

fuzzy1

Hi Hardway, if you get a chance please post some pictures and info of your process and end results. Makes for some good conversation and what a nice learning tool for those who are thinking of trying.
Take a kid fishing