Rifle experts required, Kirk still read?

Started by whitetailfan, October 22, 2007, 09:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitetailfan

My grandfather owns a 250-3000 Savage and cannot find ammo.  He asked me to look for him.

When I was down south this weekend, I asked around at a HUGE sports store in Great Falls.

The guy radioed his expert and I was told that the 250 Savage is what I want.
The shells were not a smoking deal, so I decided to ask around a bit first and pick some up locally.

From wikipedia and a couple other google hits, I read that the actual caliber is 250 savage, but it was named or nick-named 250-3000 because it was the first cartridge to achieve 3000ftps.

****Is 250-3000 an actual caliber, or is it simply 250 savage?

Am I safe to purchase and fire 250 savage cartridges in this rifle?
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Duster

well I am not positive But I believe he is correct . I don't recall any special 250-3000 ammo being produced. however a 250 savage is somewhat popular. there is a savage  250-3000 model 99 but it's a 22 caliber are you sure yours is in the 25 caliber family?
I do Know that ruger makes a 77r that is called a 250-3000 but shoot 250 savage rounds and I also know of a savage model 1899 takedown that was manufactured in 1915 that also shoots a 250 savage round. maybe if you can post the exact make and model that should be stamped on the barrel I might be able to find out some more info for you.

Duster

Wait a minute, hold the phone, I just did a search on gunbroker.com and found for sale a reloading manual for a 250-3000 caliber ??? It is advertised as "one book one caliber" so this question may require a bit more research.
Here is the linkhttp://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=83359584

hillbillysmoker

.250 savage and the 250-3000 are the same cartridge and firearm. You are right on with the concept that it was the first to reach 3000 feet per second. It is a 25 caliber round which had many merits but was kinda over run with the inception of the .243 round. Ammunitions is still readily available and is listed as .250 savage. Remington even did a limited production run in this caliber in their model 700 classic in the late 1980's.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

coyote

Good job Hillbilly, Hard to beat a good ol' West Virginia boy :) If there are still doubts WTF Have the
clerk that sells you the shells.......take the first shot. ;D

The season's commin',

Coyote