Pork Tenderloin

Started by Pistol Pete, October 15, 2014, 08:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pistol Pete

Those of you reading my posts are aware that I have been struggling to achieve temps while smoking in my 6 Rack DBS.  Well, thanks to folks like KyNoLa, that's no longer an issue.

As I was preparing my grill for last Saturday's smoke, I noticed that a bunch of caca had accumulated on the Bradley thermostat.  I cleaned it off, thinking it would give a more accurate reading.  i also decided to try another electrical source in the chance that, in the past, i was not getting enough "juice".  I turned the oven on and the oven started heating. I turned the smoker on to use that element as supplemental heat.  After a few seconds I could hear a "trip" from within the control box.  An "E" started flashing and the box started beeping.  I reset it 4 times with the same result.  Keep in mind, each time it was reset, another bisquette was advanced.  I was panicking because behind me were 2 each 3# (2.7 kg) of pork tenderloin and 8 skinless bone-in chicken thighs (2/3 dozen Canadian) marinated, rubbed, and ready for the smoker.  I looked around for somewhere on the control box i could squirt with WD-40 or cover with duct tape (duck tape Canadian).  Finding nowhere to squirt or tape, I got a hammer..but decided just to smack the box with my hand.  I changed the plug back to my original outlet and within 40 minutes the oven was up to 230°F.  I put the tenderloins on the lowest 2 racks and the thighs on the next two.  I used both my Maverick probes  in the meat because the pork finishes at 145°F and the chicken at 165°F .  When I closed the oven back up I noticed the temp had only dropped to 200°F  (ambient temp 68°F, winds at 16 mph)(mild and breezy Canadian)  The temp rose quickly to 221°F and went to 230°F within the hour!  (Traditional the Bradley temp would be 10°F above the Maverick.  That gap would narrow as the smoke went on)  I smoked to 2 hrs and 40 minutes  (12 Labatts Canadian) then just ran the oven.  An hour and 20 minutes later the pork was done, the chicken finished 40 minutes after that.  I received some criticism about the texture of the tops of the skinless thighs,  but I can handle that.

In preparation, the thighs were rubbed with Mary's Cherry Rub, fridged overnight, and then rubbed again just before cooking.

The two- 3# pork tenderloins were marinated in  2 cups apple juice, 2 T kosher salt, 1/2 T Mary's Cherry Rub, fridged overnight, rinsed, pat dry, and rubbed again with Mary's.  (I receive no compensation from Mary....I've never even met the woman).  Originally I was going to marinate using cherry juice but I whussed out.  Maybe next time  I'll try it on half of one of the loins.  Its not the $3 a pound for the meat....Its listening to the whining from a displeased person, who shall remain nameless.

To all those who helped me achieve success.....thanks...and Burp!

KyNola

Glad it came together for you.  Thanks for the nice words but each one of us leaned on someone else to get us going in the right direction.

renoman

I vote for Pistol Pete for best sense of humor on the forum (that's humour Canadian). He kills me! (that's "cracks me up" Canadian).

Pistol Pete

My sense of humor might have come from too many Bungee jumps at the WE Mall or perhaps the Cook County Saloon (Conveniently located between two highways- Canadian) Word on the street is my dad was born in P.E.I.  But that would have been around 1916 and the records are unclear.  Maybe I was born this way.  Anyway, thanks for the kind words.  When I figure it out, I'll post a picture of the Stanley cup for you...so you can see what it looks like...eh?