margarita's and bloody mary's

Started by boxertrio, April 12, 2006, 08:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boxertrio

I will be competing at Rockin Ribs this year with some guys from work,  We've got the super secret recipes and the required equipment.  This year they have added a margarita and bloody mary contest.....any recipe's would be appreciated.  I'm a beer and whiskey guy, don't usually mix drinks.  Any help would be appreciated.  Here is the link to the competition.

http://www.rocknribs.com/home.cfm
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

iceman

Sounds like your going to have some fun boxertrio. I've got a couple of good drink recipes but can't get to them until I get back in Anchorage at the end of the week. I'll get them to you as soon as I can.

IKnowWood

Oh.. 

Me I am a Tequila fan and enjoy a good Margarita.  My wife, she loves a good tasting Bloody Mary.

For Margarita look at this: http://www.thesantafesite.com/Articles/cooking/BestMargaritasinSantaFe.html

For me, a good Margarita needs to have some bite, not a lot. But not dirty or nasty (like its been blended with fish brine) and most definitely NOT watering tasting. It needs to leave some dryness and still have the airy feeling on your pallate.  I prefer Silver Coin type of Margarita's and at times a good Anejo for some slow sipping margarita's.  The Anejo is good when you want the smoothness like after some hard work.  The Silver is great for the definition of Tequila (the Agave). 

El Tesoro is a great brand.  I have enjoyed the Silver most of all, and the Anejo at times and for sipping Tequila on the rocks, the Reposado is great.

My mix for the Silver coin is:

Ice, 1/2 glass full.  Pour in about 4 ounces of the Silver Tequila.  Splash in 1 ounce of Cointreau.  1/2 ounce of fresh lime juice.  And some lemonade (light sweet or no sweet).  Homemade is good.   Lightly mix and sip, no salt or other pallate polluters.

As for Bloody Mary, my wife likes a mix on the rocks with Old Bay Seasing with some Good Vodka, little fresh pepper blend with a celery stalk.  Sometimes they splash some Oyster Juice I think in there as well.  Me, I never really liked them.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

gpsmoker

I have often done a variant on the Bloody Mary during some of our brand samplings up here. Instead of using vodka, I will use a good tequila to make it a Bloody Maria! This also works with Ceasar's in substituting tequila for vodka making a Seizure!

Remember folks, always drink in moderation and have a designated driver if you don't!  :)

Greg
When it's brown its cooking....when its black its done!

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven

iceman

La Mex- Margarita Grandes

Recipe By     :  Pat
Serving Size  : Preparation Time :0:15
Categories    : Beverages

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  2                egg whites -- beaten until stiff
  2 1/2           cups  sweet 'n sour
  1                cup  3-Roses Lime Juice
  1                cup  Syrup -- * see note

1/2          cup  Patron Tequila
     1/4          cup  Triple Sec

Ice

Note:      Syrup=  1/2 C. water and 1/2 c. sugar heat until melted.

To serve:  Mix first 4 ingredients until blended.
                 3/4 cup of above mixture
                 1/2 Cup of Tequila
                 1/4 Cup Triple Sec
                 Ice
                 Blend or shake until smooth