High Mountain Jerkey

Started by boxertrio, November 20, 2005, 07:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by iceman</i>
<br />Well said Mr. Beltran. I am just amazed there aren't more deathly ill folks out there. The human body must be one tough cookie to go through some of the abuse people can subject it to. I still see a lot of the elder natives air drying caribou jerky up here and can't figure out how they are still alive. Of course these are the same folks that can eat raw whale and salmon dipped in seal oil and still live. Good grief! Salmon in Alaska averages 8 to 12 different parasites that don't die until they reach 135 / 140 F. They had a major epidemic in Japan a few years ago and traced it back here. They were eating the salmon sushi (raw) style.Opps. Anyhow I think your dead right about reaching the temp thing. Also if the jerky is cooked to hot at first the moisture gets trapped inside and you a looking for trouble that way too. Thanks for the input.

Big or small you can smoke'm all!!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Almost all parasites are killed by freezing for 15+ days . . . if you can do that without hurting the quality of the flesh you shold be fine.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

TomG

Amen to that Iceman or as they say on the BS Forum; "Da recipe talks, BS walks!"[:0]

jerkyg

Howdy BBQ folks,

Well, from some of the replies, you can now see why I have never given any advice on this...or, any other forum in all the years I have perused them.  

To answer Iceman's and TomG's comment...

I did share with y'all for the sake of finally helping answer some questions and steer others in the right direction.  As for "Tootin" my horn, well, I only did so to placate those who may not have taken my input seriously.  Proof will be in the pudding within the next year or so as my product gets to your areas.  Unfortunately, I can't abide by the "calm down" comment.  If I was any more calm as a person...I would be comatose[:)]!!!

If every single reader of this forum and all the others combined, purchased my jerky, it would mean very little to me in the sense of profit.  I make my money from large distributors, mass market retailer (Safeway, Krogers, etc.) and other very large orders (ie, the federal government) who purchase hundreds of thousand of bags.  So, your winking suggestion that I had ulterior motives is unfounded and silly as I look at it.

It did not take me 15 years to develop my techniques.  It took me a year to figure out what I have shared with you in the last couple of days.  And to point out...I have not, nor would I, share some of the truly unique techniques that I did figure out.  All I have shared is a few things that will keep a lot of you from bumping your heads against the wall as I did...and as many of you are doing now.  

I am also amused by the "who does he think he is..." attitude that permeated some of your responses.  I'm just a hard working schmuck who happened to discover a very unique way in making a product that will change how people want their jerky.

Alas, my input was not appreciated and I will now take my past place as a fly on the wall and wish you all the best of luck.

Warm jerky regards,

Jon Beltran
Presidetn
The Jerky Guy Co.

liquid25

I happen to agree with the Jerky Guy on this. I've been trying to figure  this jerky thing out for years and it isn't easy. I appreciate the tips he gave us. Isn't it common sense why he doesn't tell more? It would be suicide for his business. Here is someone who loves jerky and thought he could help others and make someone's day and you guys kick him in the balls. I'm fairly new to this forum and I'm suprised at the responses in  this thread. - the other jerky guy

iceman

Unfortunatly in Japan freezing sushi quality fish is a big no no. That's why they got sick. As far as the natives up here they don't do it either. Yukko. Oh well they have thier way and we have ours.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by iceman</i>
<br />Well said Mr. Beltran. I am just amazed there aren't more deathly ill folks out there. The human body must be one tough cookie to go through some of the abuse people can subject it to. I still see a lot of the elder natives air drying caribou jerky up here and can't figure out how they are still alive. Of course these are the same folks that can eat raw whale and salmon dipped in seal oil and still live. Good grief! Salmon in Alaska averages 8 to 12 different parasites that don't die until they reach 135 / 140 F. They had a major epidemic in Japan a few years ago and traced it back here. They were eating the salmon sushi (raw) style.Opps. Anyhow I think your dead right about reaching the temp thing. Also if the jerky is cooked to hot at first the moisture gets trapped inside and you a looking for trouble that way too. Thanks for the input.

Almost all parasites are killed by freezing for 15+ days . . . if you can do that without hurting the quality of the flesh you shold be fine.

John
Newton MA

jaeger

originally posted by jerkyg-
"Alas, my input was not appreciated and I will now take my past place as a fly on the wall and wish you all the best of luck."

Jerkyg,
Your input is very much appreciated by most of us here I promise you. Your ideas are very inspiring and will be taken to task by many I'm sure. I have always thought a good jerky needed to be cured but I will further my practices with your advice. It just makes more sense anyway. I like your recommendation to try different batches and smoke at the same time.
I don't expect recipes and exact techniques here, it's just nice to have some advice from smokers that have found something they are happy with. A lot of people here have never smoked and will relish any proven advice.

Any ideas or advice that you would like to share will be very much appreciated here on this forum!

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

nodak

JerkyG, Hope you don't let a few ill mannered people that are showing little social skills drive you away from participating.  I think you have a lot of knowledge to share and who knows somebody may have a trick or two for you.  They sometimes get a little bent out of joint and take things wrong.  I beleive they took your comment out of context when you were actually praising them for the perfection they have accomplished smoking butts, ribs, brisket, etc. and saying if they apply to the jerky same way the will be great at it.  Thanks for sharing your diligence about product safety as I'm sure that is your primary concaern in your business as you are more vulnerable in your liability, If we kill ourselves it's our own fault.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

TomG

As Rodney said;" Can't we all just get along?"  JerkyMiester, I apologize for my cynicism, I'm afraid it's a product of DNA and years of questioning authority, stock brokers, politicians, realtors and TV commercials. I can understand why you're sensitive about revealing proprietary recipe secrets, but you did touch on something, that I for one need and would truly appreciate advice. You wrote:  <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">If using a smoker, learn about when to open and close the dampers.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">  Could you share the fine points of damper control?  I normally just crank the damn thing 1/3rd of the way open and hope for the best.

Once again please accept my apologies if I offended you or other Forum participants-Tom-

JJC

Hi All,

I e-mailed Jon (Jerkyg) earlier today and suggested that he reconsider.  I asked him to look at the Forum responses to TomG and Iceman before making a final decision.  TomG--you are a big man to respond the way you did, and if Jon is of the same character as you he will be back.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

curbstop180

hello
i did my first attempt of jerky making with my bs using cabelas original i went to the store purchased approximently 12# bottom round roast took it home trimed and cut it into strips exactly 1/4" thick (i know they are exactly for the fact instead of spending all that money on a jerky cutting board i went to the garage found a pice of 2x maple and routered out the middle to a 1/4" works like a charm i just have to wash it as soon as im done) but back to the goods i then mixed the brine/cure placed my meat into it and let it set for 16 hours i then took the meat out litely washed it and pat dryed it and onto the racks it was i did thou have about 2 2 1/2# left so i placed the container back in the fridge and went on with the task at hand i went out to the smoker that was already preheated to 160ish placed the racks in place the tem went down dramaticly which i later found out that if you dont want that to happen bring your meat to room temp or let stand for 1 or 2 hours then into the smoke but the temp got to 150 after 35 minutes and i let it go at that for 1 hour then i smoked it for 2 hours straight at 150 155 after that i just took the heat down to 140 145 and let it be with out smoke for around 6 hours longer took it out and ive had alot of jerky store bought that is in my short time on earth and this stuff was of no comparison to it it wasent dryed out it wasent raw it was beef jerky its scary isent the next day i did the rest the same way and it had more flavor then the first batch which i expected i later that week did hi mountains pepper'n'garlic and i know it wasent i who thinks it cuse every one that i took it to loved it i actually had a few people ask me if id sell them some lol too funny so as far as im consirned hi mountain is great im 2 for 2 with them and have had no complaints yet