Beef Short Ribs

Started by joeduke, April 24, 2012, 03:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeduke

Sorry for the stupid questions but whats a drip pan?

Mani

Joe, its just an aluminium tin. Look up large weber drip pan in google. That's what I generally use.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

DjSaneR

Hey, Joe.  Follow this link to see the short ribs that I did a couple of years ago.  Scroll down about 3/4 and look for my name.  Good luck!
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=14782.msg177799#msg177799
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

joeduke

Thanks for all the help guys,, I will give them a go tomorrow and let you all know how they turned out. ;)

joeduke

I did the Ribs for 7 hours, they were completly cooked but tough as old boots!! i would say the quality of the meat was not the best, they were very fatty. I did a Pork Shoulder at the same time and it turn out great. I will have to change my butcher and try again

TedEbear

It sounds like they may have been a bit overcooked.  Sealing them in foil with a bit of apple juice for a couple of hours would have made them more tender, although you previously said you were not going to be around to do that.

joeduke

Yea, didnt put them in foil :( will try some more this week end.......

Habanero Smoker

If your beef ribs came out too tough, it is generally a sign that they were either cooked at too high of a temperature, or didn't cook them long enough. In your case, it seems they were not cooked long enough. Braising them in some beef broth or plain water until they are tender, is generally how I finish beef ribs.

Wrapping them in foil with some beef broth or water, and placing in a 350°F oven will accomplish the same. You can tell when they are tender when you can insert a fork into the meat, and it easily inserts and pull out with little resistance.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DjSaneR

Joe, what temp did you cook at?
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

joeduke

220 for 7 hours........

Mani

Joe, I have always cooked them in foil after the initial smoke with some of the juice left in the foil to add steam.

Never gone wrong yet!

If you're pressed for time I would suggest doing them the day before.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

DjSaneR

Quote from: joeduke on May 01, 2012, 01:15:19 AM
220 for 7 hours........
That sounds fine.. Did you have the ribs on the bottom rack?
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

joeduke

Had them in the middle rack.... :(

DjSaneR

Quote from: joeduke on May 02, 2012, 12:03:32 AM
Had them in the middle rack.... :(

Interesting.. I'm at a loss. The only thing I could think is that perhaps there was too much salt? Salt dries things out.. I dunno. Definitely puzzled.
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

bears fan

I made them numerous times and they just take a lot longer to cook.  I now smoke them and then put them in a slow roaster for another 10 hours approximately the next day and eat them for supper.  Slow roasting at 250 degrees with apple juice in the bottom of the roaster.