My first smoke

Started by Bobdelasmoke, April 11, 2011, 08:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobdelasmoke

For my first time I smoked some cheeses. I don't have the cold smoke adapter so I put some ice in the water and opened the smoker once in a while. Temp never really got higher than ~90F. About the cheese, nothing big, just 3 pieces we like so why not give 'em a smoke.

The goodies

Before. I did a 2 hours smoke using ½ crown royal and ½ maple

After  :D

Vacuum and sealed it for a few weeks but isn't it the worst part? Waiting all that time?  ::)

steve-o

Nice color ya got there, lookin good  ;D

wyoduke

1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

Tenpoint5

Really nice color you got on that cheese. Yes the waiting is the hardest part!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

muebe

Once the cheese is ready it is going to disappear so fast that you will be smoking a big batch next time :D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

ghost9mm

Like you I smoked some cheese 2 weeks ago and was going to try some on Sunday but decided to wait 2 more weeks, and parroting what the rest have said that is some great smoke color on your cheese...

Gary
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Bobdelasmoke

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it turned out.

OU812

Woo Hoo!

You are so gonna love that cheese but like they say all good things come with time, kinda like whiskey.  ;D

Now that youve got the bug, whats next, chicken, ribs, brisket, pork butt?

CoreyMac

I know its been said but they DO have a really nice color. Really uniform.

Corey

Bobdelasmoke

@ OU812 Probably brisket, seeing all the yummy pictures on the forum, I'll have to try it. On the other hand, I have to fix a ribs "problem". Never smoked em but tried a few on the grills/crockpot etc and it always end up so bad. Hopefully it'll be easier with the OBS.

OU812

Hey there Bob, there are many ways to cook ribs, the most simple is called 3-2-1.

Set your smoker at 220-225 and let it warm up for an hr wile you get the ribs ready.

Place the ribs in the smoker and smoke 3 hr smoke, I like Hickory or Oak on ribs.

Then place the ribs in some foil and add some liquid, beer, apple juice, water, whatever and seal up then place back in the smoker for 2 hr.

Now take the ribs outta the foil and place back in the smoker for 1 hr. Now is the time to sauce them if your gonna.

3 hr smoke
2 hr steam in the foil
1 hr set the sauce or bark which ever way you wanta go.

Depending what kinda ribs your doing, baby back or spare ribs the times might change slightly.

Go for it.  ;D

OU812

Oh Ya, you are removing the membrane off the back of the ribs before you prepair them aint ya?

Bobdelasmoke

I'll definately try the 3-2-1 method. Is maple and hickory a good mix?

And yes the membrane was removed, I guess I was just unlucky trying "everyone's best" ribs recipe. I'm sure the OBS will work great.

OU812

Hickory and Maple would be great.

What kind of ribs you planing on doin?

ghost9mm

Oh!!! and we really do enjoy seeing the pictures...you know, the money shots... :D
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill