MAKING FRESH SAUSAGE FROM FROZEN PORK

Started by sherlock, March 16, 2009, 08:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherlock

I had bought some pork butts to make some fresh sausage and because of circumstances, I threw them in the freezer. Is it safe to thaw them now and make fresh sausages?

Nathan

KyNola

While I've never made sausage yet, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.  Some of the more learned sausage guys will be along soon and probably prove me wrong! :D

KyNola

manxman

QuoteI had bought some pork butts to make some fresh sausage and because of circumstances, I threw them in the freezer. Is it safe to thaw them now and make fresh sausages?

I have done this on several occasions without a problem, I think you will fine.  :)
Manxman

3rensho

Hi, I do it all the time.  When there's a good buy on butts I get 'em and toss them, vacuum packed, in the freezer.  No problems at all.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

HCT

I have 50lbs. of frozen butt. Damn sure it's alright. :D :D :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

sherlock

Mr Walleye

Nathan

Absolutely! These guys all have ya going in the right direction!

I do it all the time.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

lumpy

Most of the pork that I smoke I freeze first just to kill all the bad stuff in pork

Lumpy

NePaSmoKer

Same here.

I freeze my pork all the time if i am not going to make sausage out of it within 1 day. Pork gets gassy and goes bad fast if not frozen.

nepas

pensrock

No problem, like the others have said, do it all the time.

Up In Smoke

is there a certain amount of time the pork should be frozen to kill the nasties?
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

manxman

Although a lot rarer nowadays in the UK / USA etc a few cases of trichinosis do occur each year, freezing for between 10 and 20 days dependent on temperature will kill the parasite as will adequate cooking to the correct internal temperature.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/trichinosis/factsht_trichinosis.htm
Manxman

Tenpoint5

Just threw a whole case of butt's in the freezer ($.99 lb) found a good deal. They even had whole ribeye at $4.99 lb (12.5 lb = 20 steaks) uhhhh 16 grilled 4 for dinner.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

La Quinta

All good Nathan...  ;D We usually buy a big butt...cut it into...2 or 3 pieces....freeze them and do sausage, Asian style pork...pulled pork...you name it! For sausage I usually ask the butcher for a little additional pork fat to mix in...