Dual Element OBS Modification Parts List

Started by smoker pete, October 22, 2010, 06:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker pete

I want to add a second heating element to my 4 rack OBS along with the Habs "on/off switch".  I have searched this forum and the susanminor forum and have read what many have done.  But before I tackle this project, I was just wondering if someone who has made these modifications has ever sat down and compiled a parts list and manufacturers that carry said parts.  It looks like most parts can be found at Yard and Pool and Allied Kenco.

After having some issues coming to temp with my PID, recovery time and maintaining desired temperature today I think it's time that I upgrade my OBS before I get too deep into this passion.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

smoker pete

Habanero Smoker

Also the parts are listed at the beginning of the instructions posted on the recipe site along with the tools that are needed. Just look at both instructions.

This link includes all the parts and tools needed for the installation of the element:
Additional Heating Element Modification

This link includes all the additional parts and tools needed for the installation of the On/Off Switch:
Additional Heating Element for OBS with On/Off Control

The instructions for the additional in-line fuse and high temperature sensor will be added in the near future.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smoker pete

Thanks Hab and GR.  Going to order up things and have my Son, the electrician, help me.  After all, he'll be enjoying the fruits of his labor many times over  ;D ;D

GusRobin

Always good to order  few extra connectors, rings and wire
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

CoryNH

Where is everyone finding high temp insulated ring and quick connectors?  Everywhere I look they are all non-insulated.  Most standard connectors are good to ~220* is that what everyone is using?

GusRobin

CoryNH

Thanks GusRobin... Do those terminals come with wire insulation on them or are the bare?

goblism

It really isn't that hard to install, highly suggest putting in the switch, I usually turn my switch on for the first hour to get it up to temp and then let the smoker work off the orginal element.

GusRobin

Quote from: CoryNH on October 26, 2010, 06:54:23 AM
Thanks GusRobin... Do those terminals come with wire insulation on them or are the bare?

Bare

backstrap

Hey ya'll,
I installed a 2nd burner a couple years ago following Hab's instructions.  Worked great for a few months then quit heating up.  I isolated the problem to the auber pid, sent it back & they repaired it.  Said the plug burnt up.  Well, its worked for a few more months but once again the pid is not operating.  Has anyone else had a problem like this?   I can't afford to continually have the pid repaired.  HELP!  :'(                                                   

Habanero Smoker

I don't have a PID, I use a different temperature controlling device and never had this problem.

One other thought; how many watts is your PID rated for?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Toker

Auber pid is rated 1440 watts.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: toker on November 04, 2010, 03:04:28 PM
Auber pid is rated 1440 watts.

That is more then enough watts to run the second element.

backstrap
Hopefully one of the electricians or engineers will come by soon. Maybe you should make it a separate post, you may have a better chance of more members viewing your problem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.