A little help on my next pulled pork

Started by redsol1, July 22, 2010, 08:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

Quote from: redsol1 on July 22, 2010, 11:32:05 AM

One last bonehead question: has anyone had problems leaving the probe in the shoulder in the smoker while it cooks with the alarm on outside the box?

No problem.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

TestRocket

Just don't touch that probe to a hot grill grate (gas or charcoal), they don't like it.

And one more thing: There is no such thing as a "bonehead" question. We all learn something almost every day!

redsol1

Quote from: TestRocket on July 22, 2010, 11:51:38 AM
Just don't touch that probe to a hot grill grate (gas or charcoal), they don't like it.

And one more thing: There is no such thing as a "bonehead" question. We all learn something almost every day!

yea, but sometimes the foil hat keeps the information from getting in! ::)

La'

Redsol1

GusRobin

Its only a bonehead question if you don"t ask and screw up your dinner.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

SouthernSmoked

Hey redsol1, I'm new to this blog but I've been using my SS Bradley since early 2008. The Hospital that my wife works at has a yearly bbq "Pulled Pork" cook-off, no rules but one - you have to either work there or a family member does – wife, husband, child. I've won with my pulled pork 3 out of the last 4 years. It's the only true place I get to show off my smoke meat with the exception of a family gathering, since I use the Bradley smoker.
I don't want to give out to many secrets but I will do this for you.
•   Apply a thin coat of yellow mustard,  
•   Apply rub, you can do this the day before and frig overnight – you may not have time to let sit over night and if not I would use a apple juice mixture and inject the butt just like you would a turkey.
•   Make sure the smoker is preheated to around 250-275 because once you open the door and set the meat on the rack you oven will drop. Make sure that you rest your butt with the fat side up, this will allow juices to flow through the meat. Keep an eye on this since you want to smoke between 225-250 degrees.
•   I normally don't even look at this for about 4-5 hours and at that time I will open the door and insert my digital thermometer and close the door until the butt is 165 degree
•   At this time I will begin to mop this with a vinegar base solution every hour.
•   Once the pork reaches 190 degree I will take it out and rest it on a bed of foil, then pour some of the mop over top and seal the foil.
•   At this point I will then set in my cooler wrapped in foil and several towels for about two hours.
•   Bring the butt inside and unwrap, if you like bbq sauce you want to coat a fine layer at this junction, and begin pulling.
•   I then use my bear claws or you can use two forks to pull the meat apart into chunks. Make sure to add in the bark, the dark brown layer, for added flavor. I have to say that because I have seen folks discard the outside bark thinking it is burnt or something. It is the best part.
•   I don't add the bbq sauce on this – I allow the user to do so.

I hope this helped.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

KyNola

Really nice tutorial SouthernSmoked.  I can see why you've swept that competition 3 out of 4 times.

smokehawk

Just wanted to say thanks to you all.  This wasn't even my post but you all give such great advice I had to give this a shot!  My butt's been in the Bradley for 8 hours now and IT of 170 for the two 5.5lb butts. 

This is my first butt in the smoker.  I've been working ribs, brisket, prime rib and turkey breast for a while and decided it was time to branch out.  Besides, the price per pound is so much better than the rest!

Thanks again for steering me in the right direction fellas!

OmahaBen

I agree with Smokehawk.  I've only had my BDS for about a month now, but post like this are great. There is enough details here for us new guys to go out and try something new and end up with a decent final product.

SmokinMinnesota

I just got my smoker on Monday, and already trying 2 7lb butts as I type this.  I have been reading these forums for 2 months now, and would like to thank all of you for the great advice and tips.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: smokehawk on August 12, 2010, 09:45:27 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to you all.  This wasn't even my post but you all give such great advice I had to give this a shot!  My butt's been in the Bradley for 8 hours now and IT of 170 for the two 5.5lb butts. 

This is my first butt in the smoker.  I've been working ribs, brisket, prime rib and turkey breast for a while and decided it was time to branch out.  Besides, the price per pound is so much better than the rest!

Thanks again for steering me in the right direction fellas!

Quote from: OmahaBen on August 13, 2010, 12:17:34 PM

I agree with Smokehawk.  I've only had my BDS for about a month now, but post like this are great. There is enough details here for us new guys to go out and try something new and end up with a decent final product.

Quote from: SmokinMinnesota on September 04, 2010, 09:39:05 AM
I just got my smoker on Monday, and already trying 2 7lb butts as I type this.  I have been reading these forums for 2 months now, and would like to thank all of you for the great advice and tips.

Like KyNola would say ......... "Reel them in ... They are hooked"

Thanks for saying Thanks. A Thanks means alot sometimes.

KyNola

CRG couldn't have said it better.  Thank you for saying "thanks".

That's all that matters.

Kazmoe

Thanks are definitely in order to all of you that monitor and post here.  I can speak for the many who just lurk and learn and offer many more thanks.
I've got a 10lb butt in the smoker right now... smoke wisping in the window as I sit here sipping a brew and no apprehension at all that it is going to come out wonderful early tomorrow afternoon.  I've picked up bits and pieces from several sites (but mostly here) and even though I'm a noobie still... I'm lovin' it.

Neighbors have their windows open...  better cook two next time.  Smellin' goooooood.   8)

SouthernSmoked

Hey Kazmore, your going to find out that you have a lot of neighbors... this is a "break the ice" unit.

Awesome post and enjoy.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Caneyscud

Kazmoe

That is what smoking is all about - enjoying the ride AND the destination!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"