Advancing multiple bisquettes

Started by mholck, December 30, 2010, 07:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mholck

I just got a OBS and seasoned it as per the instructions. Today I wanted to smoke some brisket so I loaded 23 bisquettes into the feeder which should allow for 7 hours of smoke with 2 extra. However, every 20 minutes when it advances it is advancing 2 and sometimes 3 bisquettes. After only 2 hours it has used all but 6 bisquettes already. Has anyone else seen this or know what I can do to fix this. It is wasting a lot of bisquettes this way.

Thanks,
Michael

mow_delon

Wow, that sucks!  I have never had this problem, but I am sure someone has. 23 bisquettes is like 7 and a half HOURS OF SMOKE!  Usually people only use 3-4 hours worth max with the Bradley.  I am sure someone will tell you excatly what is wrong, but if they don't Bradley customer service is GREAT.

drano

When I got my OBS several years ago, it would continually advance one after another quite often.  I replaced the switch, but no luck.
Finally I read on a post here that the hole the puck advance push button switch mounts in is sometimes made too small.  That pinches the sides of the switch, causing it to stick in, and continually advance pucks.
So I removed the switch, used a file to carefully make the hole a bit bigger (careful, it most likely only needs a couple file strokes), put it back together, and it works great now.  The switch button now moves in and out freely. 
If you file the whole bigger, give it a stroke or 2, then install the switch to try it, and repeat if needed until the switch moves back and forth smoothly.  If you go too far, wrap the outer edges of the switch with electrical tape to make it fit snug in the whole--don't ask me why I know this :-[
Good luck.
get smokin
drano

DTAggie

There was a post on this the other day.  The filing down sounds like it would work.  Sorry I cannot find the other post right now.  Been out of town and have 10 pages of new posts to get through.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Michael;

Sorry to welcome you to the forum in this manner.

If it is sporadically moving 2 to 3 bisquettes one after another, it sounds more like a micro switch problem. It may be that you have a loose connection. Even if the wiring looks secure, unplug the connection and plug it back in making sure it is secure. You can try this tip:
Bisquettes Continuously Feeding

Or the micro switch is not being depress far enough each time the arm rotates around. In that case you may have to adjust the position of the motor.

Here are some other useful tips that may come in handy in the future:
Bradley Smoker FAQ's

If neither of the about tips help, contact Bradley Tech.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mholck

Thanks all for the suggestions. I opened up the smoke generator this morning and ran it and noticed that the actuator arm on the motor was grazing the micro switch and not always fully depressing it. I loosened the screws on the motor mount and moved it as far forward in the existing holes as possible and then re-tightened the screws. It seems to have worked so far. I ran the manual advance dozens of times and it seems to be OK now. I will be trying it out again soon and see if that fix is enough. If not I can open up the holes a bit as suggested.

Habanero Smoker

Glad to see you up an running again.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Sorce

I had a similar situation, mine was because one of the wires was in the way and when the arm came over it would hook the wire and press it into the switch but not be able to advance all the way and would reverse and hit the switch again, I used a zip tie to make sure the wire didn't get in the way anymore.