Guru power raptor ? Need an explanation. pls.

Started by SmokinMoe, December 15, 2004, 02:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMoe

Thevenin has me wondering if I am even doing this right.
I set my pit temp at 205 and my meat temp at 185 (boston Butts) and the ramp mode is ON when I smoke.  My meat is black when it comes out about 14 hours later.  It is ok, that is just the fat that is black though.  I usually put it on at night and go to bed.  I change the water after 4 hours and back to bed.  Am I not supposed to have the ramp mode on?
Good grief, boys, why are you confusing me so much? LOL
If you don't use the ramp mode, what is it for then?
Have you ever heard of a woman NOT reading directions?  Well, I didn't obviously, and besides, they are too technical and assuming that I know what they know.  They really need to have a non-engineer write the manual for them.
Can you help me out here for the explanations then? Thanks!!
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

ramp mode is used just the way you are doing it at night, when you are sleeping or if you are busy, if not doing eather turn ramp mode off it will cook faster, what are you setting your vent at? we need to get bill to chim in here.[8D]

nsxbill

Smokehouse Rob and Moe,

I think that the larger pieces of meat can survive and be done well with the ramp mode in a conventional charcoal pit.  The conventional pit has sig temps that seal the meat and trap in the juices.  They can mop the meat and not worry about the temps dropping drastically.  Our BS's, don't come close to those temps even at max temp.  We have to realize good smoke penetration up to 140°, and then go for the slow controlled cooks in my opinion.  Heck, I like to do it that way anyway...much safer and protects that investment we make in the meat.

I choose to use the ramp off, because I like the control.  With the newer Guru, and the digital capability, I can really dial it in and maintain the temps within 2°.

About a month ago, I tried the "ramp-on" mode with some chicken breasts, and although tasty, brought new dimensions to overdone.  My Yorkshire Terrier enjoyed them, one by one.  Kind of helped clean his teeth they were so done![:D][:D].  On a butt, and like Smokehouse Rob says, if away, the ramp might be ok.  I would plan for a nice crust on the meat either way.

I have no desire to exceed 210-220°, and have the patience to wait out the time for the smoke and low temps to flavor and cook the meat.

My Raptor is being replaced right now.  I have 8 racks of ribs awaiting it's relacement to arrive.  Damn UPS and Christmas logjam.  Should have been in on Monday.  Worked well one night, next day only putting out 48 volts.  Something failed.  I have the proto-type, and might have just been something simple like a loose wire.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.