Great Outdoors Smoker, Smokey Mountain Series

Started by Roger, March 20, 2006, 08:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger

I purchased a "Great Outdoors" smoker which uses propane for added heat. The unit has a propane burner in the bottom that can be set to low medium or high. Above that (approx. 6in.) on a wire rack is a chip burner box and then a water pan 2 in. above that. The unit has a 4 in. butterfly vent on top of box. I was not happy with the amount of smoke and having to tend the chips to create smoke every 30 minutes or so.
I purchased the Bradley Smoke Generator and added it to back of unit. I removed the chip box and its water pan and used Bradleys pan for water and spent ashes.The unit provided plenty of smoke until I fire up the propane burner for added heat which voids the inside of box of almost all smoke. I was using bradleys water pan under generator but it created too much steam for box. I moved the water two smaller water containers on side of propane burner. This did not help create more smoke in box, but did cut down the moisture. The smoke just seamed to go up on outside, between box and generator.
Help. Should I add more ventilation to bottom of box or should I convert over to electric.

RDG

Habanero Smoker

This has me puzzled. It's hard to believe that the smoker doesn't have an intake draft for the propane.

The Bradley generator has vents on it to create a draft to prevent smoke for backing out of the generator. If your smoker was drafting alright before you added the generator then it is possible that the generator is causing the back draft. Before I would add another vent I would try covering the vents on the generator, and try to seal any other gaps where the generator enters the smoker (if that is possible), and see if this improve anything.

Going to electric, would probably solve the problem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Roger

I looked at the area around burner and it does have venting. I am thinking that there is a chimney effect right into smoke generator. Do you know were I could find a 110 volt thermostatically controlled element to replace propane unit? Maybe something that would plug directly into the extra plug on generator.

RDG

Habanero Smoker

I don't know where you can get an electric heater. Some members have added ceramic heaters to their Bradley's for extra heat check out this thread http://bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=794 . Hopefully one will see this thread, and respond.

Also one member Humpa built a propane smoker http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1188 . I haven't seen any posts from him in a while. You may want to send him an e-mail, he may help you figure out how to modify your propane setup.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

Roger welcome to the form, what you are looking for is called a bradley, just kidding. but you can buy the bradley smoker cabnet with out the smoke gen, for the parts you are looking for try here, http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=89&osCsid=bccc46f034d24c3e2e3d0f17455a5279

iceman

Hi ya Roger. Dang if you didn't run into the same problems I had when I was making the proto type smoker for camping. Same cabinet you have I think. I mounted the bradley generator on the side and used an inverter to run it off the trailers batteries. I had to install some 1/4" plates with holes drilled in them for a diffuser. I also installed a Sentry temp control from Cajun Cookers to keep the heat constant on the propane burner. Between all that, you need to play with the vents to get it right for the ambient temp. I found getting the box up to temp first then getting the smoke going helped alot. I have everthing torn apart right now but will post a few pictures as soon as I get things back together. Your right about having to throw chips in all the time with the old set up. What a pain in the bazoo. Hope this sheds some light in your direction. Good luck and don't hesitate to e-mail if you have questions.

Roger

Thanks for all the info guys. Will check these out and get back to you on my results.

RDG

iceman

RSD Supply an HVAC supply chain (western states and Alaksa) makes my elements for me. I just pick voltage, wattage, configuration, etc and they bend them up and mail them to me. Usually for the larger smokers the element runs about $80.00 FOB Anchorage. If you can't find them in the directory I can dig up an address out of the files.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Roger</i>
<br />Thanks for all the info guys. Will check these out and get back to you on my results.

RDG
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

ListerD

Iceman - can you post pics of your GO Smoker Mods?

I'm thinking about modifying mine too...

iceman

Quote from: ListerD on May 31, 2006, 05:07:33 PM
Iceman - can you post pics of your GO Smoker Mods?

I'm thinking about modifying mine too...
Sorry I missed this post listerD. The unit is up north at the cabin. I'll try to remember my camera next time I fly up. Damn work thing keeps interfering with the important stuff like smoking.

ListerD

Sounds good!

I've been doodling on paper a fair amount lately trying to figure out different ways to do it.

I have the mid-sized model with no side vents, just the top vent and the 1" opening all the way around the burner.

ListerD

iceman

Quote from: ListerD on July 12, 2006, 05:31:25 AM
;D Just a reminder  :P
Looks like it's still going to be awhile ListerD. I get back from the North Slope early next month and head to California. My dad is not doing so good and needs a hand. I'll get to the cabin as soon as I can buddy. Hand in there. ;)

ListerD

No problem man, I just nudge now and then  ;D

Hope your dad gets better!