Barbacoa

Started by SnellySmokesEm, April 24, 2010, 05:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronbeaux

I stepped on my tongue. Dammm that looks good!
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: hal4uk on April 25, 2010, 05:42:57 PM
Pretty sure...

That's odd. I find the flavor and heat pretty consistent. Although most of the peppers are now grown in S. American, the company has strict standards on how the peppers are grown, the size and color they are picked at.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SnellySmokesEm

Thanks for all the feedback guys...

Overall I really liked the barbacoa.  When I first had it Sat. night I thought that next time I made I would turn down the heat a bit and substitute the chipotle with 3 or 4 jalapenos.  But I reheated up some last night and it was perfect, even better than the first night.  I think the beef marinading in the barbacoa salsa overnight dissipated the heat some and it was really wonderful.  

As I said in the first post this recipe is a compilation of many different recipes I found online.  The majory of the recipe came form here: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1023838

I would recommend this to everyone on the forum and I am open to any suggestions to make this recipe better.  I really wanted to do this post because there is not a lot of information on the forum about barbacoa.  I know its not the traditional Mexican barbacao with cow or lamb head, but more of a variation of TexMex style barbacoa.  I look forward to more input and some of your results when you try the barbacoa.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

OU812

That looks GREAT!

Being in the middle of know where and dont get out much, I have never herd of let alone tried Barbacoa.

I so gotta try this.

Thanks for openin my eyes to somethin different Snelly

classicrockgriller

I personaly don't like Barbacoa because of using the head parts, but I am gonna try this.

It looks great.

Thanks Snelly for the post.

ArnieM

Thanks for the post Snelly.  The food looks great.

I believe chipotle is smoked jalapeno.  I can't figure out how they get so hot.  Maybe the sauce in the can?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

SnellySmokesEm

Quote from: ArnieM on April 26, 2010, 01:21:15 PM
Thanks for the post Snelly.  The food looks great.

I believe chipotle is smoked jalapeno.  I can't figure out how they get so hot.  Maybe the sauce in the can?

Thats why I think next time I will use sliced jalapeno instead of chipotle.

CRG- I'm not sure if I would like authentic Barbacoa either, but I would like to try it.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

hal4uk

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 26, 2010, 01:29:25 AM
Quote from: hal4uk on April 25, 2010, 05:42:57 PM
Pretty sure...

That's odd. I find the flavor and heat pretty consistent. Although most of the peppers are now grown in S. American, the company has strict standards on how the peppers are grown, the size and color they are picked at.

Checked the bottle - I'm positive.  And I SWEAR it's wayyyy hotter than regular tabasco. 
I can drink tabasco out of the bottle, but NOT this.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KyNola

Hal,
I hate to go against a fellow Kentuckian but I'm with the other guys on this.  My Chipotle Tabasco tastes like a smokey tabasco and I find regular tabasco to be a lot hotter.  Maybe you got the extra strength version.

squirtthecat

Ditto.   I got some of this stuff when it came out, and it's not "hot" at all. (Hal's tolerance for heat is about 10X mine)    Your bottle must have been a goof..

OU812

Just my 2 cents on the Chipotle Tabasco.

I find the heat the same as the regular Tabasco, just a little thicker and with a hint of smoke.

hal4uk

Was at a business lunch today...
Ordered the "Rajun Cajun" burger (grilled w/cajun spice and pepper jack cheese).
It didn't even begin to hint at hot for me.  Nothin'.

Squirt --- You gotta taste this stuff next time you're here...
I musta got the "pulp special" or somethin'...
It's CRAZY BLAZING hot.

BTW - I got a LARGE bottle of Starne's BBQ sauce waiting for ya.
Awrighten.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby