Various Adventures... and Brisket Results

Started by Gordon, August 01, 2005, 02:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I have yet to do ABT's that were very hot. I have thought about leaving some of the vein in but then thought 'what if these are hotter than the last' so I removed it but every time... no heat.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">What pepper are you using?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Just green jalapenos from Safeway.

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
 Dude of Foam,<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

What do you mean by that, Wacker?

I had nothing to do with the Foam.

Oldman

Interesting.... but then again most don't know there are a couple of grades in "heat level" with that pepper.

For what it is worth jalapenos are easy to grow. And if they don't freeze will produce for years.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

Sorry man LOLLLL[:D]--Dude of Phone...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Gordon

Actually, all together, the brisket took 17+.

I have decided to not wrap until FTC next time.

and I may do those beans next weekend, Oldman.  After I get paid.  I have put A LOT of money in meat lately...

What a piece of work is man!

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gordon</i>
<br />Actually, all together, the brisket took 17+.

I have decided to not wrap until FTC next time.

and I may do those beans next weekend, Oldman.  After I get paid.  I have put A LOT of money in meat lately...

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I hear you on the cost of meat. However, if you watch the adds and see a cut of meat you like for a good price, buy it and stock up at that time. Yesterday I picked up 5 London Broils for $2.98 a pound. I know what you're thinking, $2.98 isn't that great but these were PRIME grade. I threw a nice thick one on the grill and cooked to 145 deg. It came out so tender and delicious. I used some garlic salt, granulated onion and pepper. Brushed with olive oil and proceded to put some fine grill marks on it and also split some zuc's and grilled them. Cut up a watermelon .....It was a good meal.

Gordon

I hear you.

The wife watches those adds like a hawk.  I have church members who are buying gift cards to Walmart so that I can pick up some meat and smoke it for them when I am smoking mine.

Genetics have limited my meat intake to mostly chicken for a good part of my life.  The increase in bacon consumption over the last two months has done a number on my blood pressure.  I will probably stick with chicken for myself, but I will do the more extravagant, bacony, pork dishes for others.  I was thinking of cold smoking some hamburgers and then vacuum sealing them for later.  I am worried about the temp though.  I will have to set the smoker inside the freezer to keep the temp below 95.  Mississippi summers don't lend themselves to cold smoking.

I am still gonna try those beans though...they look too good not to.  Next fellowship, I will put the smoked cheddar, ABT, Candy-ized bean, deviled-egg hurt on them!!

Cold Smoke

Just my $0.02---I have yet to make a batch of ABTs that don't make a few few family members shed some tears. Not sure why? I guess we just get potent peppers from somewhere up here. The last batch I made however I sliced them halfways- prior to that I have been cutting the tops off and using a special type knife to slice away the membrane and pull out the seeds. This latter way seems much easier than the halving the peppers- my opinion...It's much easier to fill a solid pepper with the filling and wrapping with bacon if its complete versus the halved peppers that slip and slide when trying to fill and tie together with toothpicks. Again, that's just one man's opinion....

Cold Smoke

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> <i>Originally posted by Gordon</i>
<br />......I am still gonna try those beans though...they look too good not to......
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Gordon, these are one of my favorite.  Make sure you use a "real" molases, a lot of so called molases is not-read the label.  It will make differance.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ColdSmoke</i>
<br />......I have yet to make a batch of ABTs that don't make a few few family members shed some tears. Not sure why?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This is my .017 cents worth here.  Not always-bigger is cooler (I thing Alton Brown says the same thing).  The best results I hvae had is when I go to sams they have a 2lb box of peppers.  They are usually HUGE-like you better make more filling huge, these seem to be the best on the lack of heat.  However I did buy one of those boxes and you could see they were not what I typically buy.  They were smaller and Hail Columbia-HOTTER, in fact could not finish them-just ate the bacon off the top.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Gordon

I did make those beans, I dried them just a little.  Oldman is right, you can over cook really fast with those.  They cooked for an hour and 25 minutes altoghther.  Really good though.  Did some Tyson chickens instead of Pilgrims Pride...not sure if I don't like Pilgrims Pride better...

I also used a Dancing Pigs rub for the chickens.  The Kroeger did not have Durkee.  I did not like it as well as  I like Durkee.

Wife made some Quesadillas with the smoked chicken Saturday night, and we tried them with the smoked cheese last night.  They were AWESOME.  I may try and make a smoked chicken burrito later.  Sour Cream, little Salsa...mmmmmmmm...can't wait!

MallardWacker

Gordon,

The only thing  I do different than the beans is that I smoke the whole pound of bacon and do not lay any on top as Olds suggest when you bake them(please forgive me Stud Miester-Olds).  Sounds like you are are on the road to some good happenings with you BS.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Gordon

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> <i>Originally posted by Gordon</i>
<br />......I am still gonna try those beans though...they look too good not to......
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Gordon, these are one of my favorite.  Make sure you use a "real" molases, a lot of so called molases is not-read the label.  It will make differance.

I used Brer Rabbit.  Can't get much more authentic than that.  Even though the company that distributes it is in New Jersey!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ColdSmoke</i>
<br />......I have yet to make a batch of ABTs that don't make a few few family members shed some tears. Not sure why?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This is my .017 cents worth here.  Not always-bigger is cooler (I thing Alton Brown says the same thing).  The best results I hvae had is when I go to sams they have a 2lb box of peppers.  They are usually HUGE-like you better make more filling huge, these seem to be the best on the lack of heat.  However I did buy one of those boxes and you could see they were not what I typically buy.  They were smaller and Hail Columbia-HOTTER, in fact could not finish them-just ate the bacon off the top.

Taking all advise into account, I use some canned (EEEK!) jalapeno juice to make the pork grind up easier, and that is enough heat for me.  Especially since I slice the pepper in two (rent in twain, bifurcated), and scrape the daylights out of the inside.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">....(rent in twain, bifurcated)....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Even at that I don't promise you anything.  Way too funny.  Man, I have to remember that one.  I could use that a lot.

<b> <font size="2"><font color="red">"After I smoked that with Mesquite[}:)] I had to rent in twain & bifurcated it" </font id="size2"></font id="red"></b>

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gordon</i>
<br />I hear you.

The wife watches those adds like a hawk.  I have church members who are buying gift cards to Walmart so that I can pick up some meat and smoke it for them when I am smoking mine.

Genetics have limited my meat intake to mostly chicken for a good part of my life.  The increase in bacon consumption over the last two months has done a number on my blood pressure.  I will probably stick with chicken for myself, but I will do the more extravagant, bacony, pork dishes for others.  I was thinking of cold smoking some hamburgers and then vacuum sealing them for later.  I am worried about the temp though.  I will have to set the smoker inside the freezer to keep the temp below 95.  Mississippi summers don't lend themselves to cold smoking.

I am still gonna try those beans though...they look too good not to.  Next fellowship, I will put the smoked cheddar, ABT, Candy-ized bean, deviled-egg hurt on them!!

Hi Gordon,

Don't want to play doc here, but cardiovascular stuff is my thing when I'm not smokin' . . . If bacon consumption several months seems to be associated with your increased blood pressure, it is almost for sure not the fat content--it's the salt content. You just can't get the changes in your arteries that too much fat causes in just a couple of months--it takes years.  On the other hand, sodium can induce almost instantaneous changes.  Perhaps you could enjoy bacon--especially the low-salt variet--which I find pretty tasty--in moderation and really watch your salt intake in general to help your BP.  Believe me, I know what a strugle it is--I work on blood vessels in the lab and used to take 3 medications to keep my BP in check, but have been able to cut down to one medication by reducing my salt consumption to 2-3 grams per day.  Definitely don't just take my word for it because every individual has a different reason for getting high BP, but check in with your doc about trying a low-salt diet and see if that helps.  Just $.02 . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Gordon

Thanks, brother - I have been on Accupril (or its generic cousin Quinipril) for over 2 years now.  Since my father had quadruple bypass at 55, and my grandfather has had 2 strokes, and two bypasses.  (He passed 3 years ago - God rest his soul).  I decided that seeing the doctor would be a good idea.  I get the "floaters" in my eyes some times when the pressure is too high.  Pork just seems to do it a lot faster than anything - as you stated - because of the salt in it.  When my uncle died a couple of months ago, every meal they had was ham.  I was really hungry after two days of not eating anything but veggies.  (I was not made to be a vegetarian)

Salt is something I watch on a regular basis.  I have not seen low salt bacon, but I will look for it.  I also do not brine my chickens anymore.  They taste delicious, they just make my blood pressure (166/108)  spike for a few days.

I said all that to say this - I will watch the salt.  And thanks.

Gordo