Smoked spuds?

Started by TMB, December 08, 2010, 06:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMB

Dumb question, but has anyone smoked spuds in there Bradley??    I want to try smoking a few spuds in my Bradley then finish in the SRG to crisp the skin up,

Any thought's?
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

KevinG

It would probably take a month of Sundays to cook a potato in a Bradley, but maybe a couple hours with some smoke would get some penetration. Another possibility would be to go at it backwords. Cook it then smoke it, potatoes seem to hold moisture pretty well so it might be viable to get some smoke flavor (especially if you open it up).
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

TMB

Quote from: KevinG on December 08, 2010, 06:49:52 AM
It would probably take a month of Sundays to cook a potato in a Bradley, but maybe a couple hours with some smoke would get some penetration. Another possibility would be to go at it backwords. Cook it then smoke it, potatoes seem to hold moisture pretty well so it might be viable to get some smoke flavor (especially if you open it up).
I know it won't cook the spud , but I want to add or see if I can add smoke to a spud then toss it in the Big Easy or SRG for a 30 min trip on the infrared express!

I bet it will work and I guess I need to try it!  ;D

ArnieM

I'd go with Kevin on the bake first.  I might try this - twice baked.

- Bake until nearly done.
- Cut in half and smoke for an hour or so.
- Scoop out most of the potato and mix with your favorite shredded smoked cheese and the usual stuff - butter, S&P, etc.
- Then, give 'em a ride in the infrared express.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

BuyLowSellHigh

I'll bet it will work.  If it works on nuts it will probably work on potatoes too,  The color might be a little funky for a potato, but what the heck -- do it.  I say try it and let us know how well it works.

One thought - smoke and water wet surfaces generally don't go too well together to get smoke adsorption.  So I think you want the potatoes as dry as reasonable before the smoke.  If you cut them and then leave 'em out to dry the surface will turn brown from an oxidation reaction (no harm, just ugly, like an apple (same reaction).  A wee bit of cooking, just enough to dry the surface, should help prevent that.  If you really cook them before smoking they may be quite wet from the moisture release (think baked potato).
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

TMB

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on December 08, 2010, 10:26:39 AM
I'll bet it will work.  If it works on nuts it will probably work on potatoes too,  The color might be a little funky for a potato, but what the heck -- do it.  I say try it and let us know how well it works.

One thought - smoke and water wet surfaces generally don't go too well together to get smoke adsorption.  So I think you want the potatoes as dry as reasonable before the smoke.  If you cut them and then leave 'em out to dry the surface will turn brown from an oxidation reaction (no harm, just ugly, like an apple (same reaction).  A wee bit of cooking, just enough to dry the surface, should help prevent that.  If you really cook them before smoking they may be quite wet from the moisture release (think baked potato)./
I thought about rubbing with oil then smoke for 1 hr then toss them in the SRG.  I would think the oil would hold the smoke would it not?

When I cook them in an SRG or Big Easy I rub with oil, salt then toss into the basket for a ride on the INFRARED EXPRESS

squirtthecat

I think the oil would help.   Kind like a Potato Pellicle..

Habanero Smoker

I don't have the time right now, but if you do a search on the forum some members have done this.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokin Soon

Oil does help, especially when it is from something tasty from the rack above it! Then off to the Big Easy for the grand finish!

BuyLowSellHigh

Tenpoint5

I talked with Tommy about this. Trying to answer the question as to whether or not the moisture from the oil would prevent the smoke from sticking or hang on to it more than if you just smoked a plain spud. So I do believe that he is going to do a side by side test.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 08, 2010, 03:23:25 PM
I talked with Tommy about this. Trying to answer the question as to whether or not the moisture from the oil would prevent the smoke from sticking or hang on to it more than if you just smoked a plain spud. So I do believe that he is going to do a side by side test.

An experiment will be great!

Okay, my terms ... moisture  = water, at least when it comes to food.  Oil = fat.

The compounds in smoke that give us that wonderful smokey flavor have limited affinity for or solubility in water.  They have much greater affinity for and solubility in oils and fats. They also do very well with fairly dry proteins (proteins do have a fair amount of bound water).   Hence you'll get smoke adsorption or absorption in both cases, but it will be more efficient and more thorough with a surface that is low in moisture and rich in fats or denatured proteins with only bound water present.

TMB

Thanks guys for the input.   I hope to do this Saturday because Sunday I'll be tied up and the weather is going to be bad anyways.  I try and post step by step on how this goes.    Kimmie will have to take the pictures so no telling how this will work!   ::)     LOL