Corned Beef (wannabe pastrami)

Started by weedenb, December 27, 2011, 03:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weedenb

La Quinta,

Yes the last two pieces are a half cut in half. Started out as a bit over 5lbs eye round. The cut in half lengthwise seems to make things about the same thickness as brisket. The 1/2 done as corned beef for dinner last was a thumbs up with the family :) First time for a non-brisket CB, interesting differences. Much leaner, denser meat, way less shrinkage when cooking, I'll be doing that again! (sorry, missed the pictures - its gone!)

For my future reference, is quartering these things the best way to go for corned beef/pastrami? Seems like the thickness is just about right but you end up with fairly small (~1-1/4lb) pieces but just halving it lengthwise would seem to be an unwieldy length unless trim off some?

Habanero Smoker

How long will they be if you cut them length wise?

With the proper containers there wouldn't be a problem wet curing it. You would only need one container for both pieces. Or if you were able to wet brine the other ones in one gallon bags, a full length one should easily be brined in two gallon bags.

Also, if you cut them length wise, you will not need such a long curing time, and it also gives you the option of a dry cure.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

weedenb

Habanero,

The original round was close to 14" long, I'll definitely split them lengthwise for curing in the future and them decide if I want to shorten them to suit. I guess that's why all you guys have sausage grinders, takes care of the odd's and end's  :)

Pastrami is out of the smoker and resting (3hrs hickory then 155F IT) , now I just have to wait a few more days :(

Just enough of the corned beef left to slice up and do some CB reubens while I'm waiting :)

Habanero Smoker

Or if the next one is that long, just cut a 3 - 4-inch piece off the thin end and use it for stew meat, or stir fry. My cuts were around 11-inches in length.

I took my eye round to 142?F, it came out great. I think I prefer the eye round to brisket. The eye round gave enough beef flavor, and is more tender. The first few slices I mistakenly sliced with the grain and it was a little tough, but once I started slicing against the grain it was much more tender.

A few deli's around here use coleslaw on top of their pastrami sandwiches; along with Swiss cheese and mustard on rye. I made one the other day and it was good.

Oh! I forgot to mention your corned beef looks good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

DTJ

I have been primarily using eye of round for my corned beef/patrami for awhile.  My family prefers the leaness of this cut over the brisket, also many times find it cheaper!!
Daryl

weedenb

Success, the pastrami turned out great! I will definately be doing this again, just my luck Costco was sold out of eye the other day when I checked :( Lots of lessons learned, I'll cut the salt back to 1-1/2 cups if I brine again, prepare the meat in ~2" thick slabs, buy a spice grinder!, slice thin, etc., etc. I think I'll try Habanero's dry cure next time and do a batch of Canadian bacon along with it. The two little pastrami's looked pretty lonely in my monster smoker!

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

Habanero Smoker

Good to here you were successful.

Some suggestions, if you use a wet cure next time. You may want to give some thought to placing the cuts in a container and not plastic bags. With the cuts approximately 2 to 3-inches thick, give some thought to cutting the curing time to maybe 3 - 5 days; the longer you brine the saltier it will be. Sam's sells 8 quart Rubbermaid food containers. One contain will probably cure multiple cuts of  an eye round. If those containers are too large for your refrigerator, sometimes the carry 4 quart food container.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

DTJ

The 8 quart ones are the one I use and work great

Daryl