Canadian Bacon - Cure longer ?

Started by FLBentRider, February 18, 2008, 02:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

I have a pork loin that is destined to be Canadian Bacon. I understand that for the date I want to smoke it, is on the weekend, which means I need to start the curing process the weekend before. Problem is I am going to be out of town this weekend. Would it be a problem to start on Thursday ? That would make the cure 8 days instead of 6. Then the drying  / smoking / and the two day wait.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Bad Flynch

As a matter of practice, a cut of meat is often cured for 2 days per inch of thickness, plus 2 days.  That is about 6 or 7 days for a typical pork tenderloin (Yum!).

The only real consequence of going two extra days would be a little extra saltiness. That is not a problem for someone like me, who likes salty meats. It would also add a little to the storage capability of the finished meat.

Probably you should try it, but wash it well with cold running water and soak it for 2 hours in cold water before drying and smoking.
B.F.

KyNola

You should be fine.  The advice to rinse and soak is correct.  Man, I love to make canadian bacon.  My friends love for me to make it too. 

Enjoy and don't worry about an extra curing day.

Larry

Habanero Smoker

I would still take it out in six days, rinse and soak it. I always rinse out the bag or the container used to cure, and return the loin back to the bag/container, refrigerate and allow it to "rest" one day; before preparing it for the smoker. Allowing it to rest an extra day, would be a better option then curing it two additional days.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Rider,
I will always 100% yield to Habs when it comes to all things Canadian bacon and smoking in general.  If he says you should take it out in 6 days, follow his instructions.  He is much more knowledgeable than me.

KyNola

Bad Flynch

>Allowing it to rest an extra day, would be a better option then curing it two additional days. <

Hmmm...

Looks like he's going to be gone at the times necessary to either start on time or take it out at a better time?

Anyway, it's going to be hard to go too far wrong.
B.F.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Bad Flynch on February 19, 2008, 06:06:17 PM
>Allowing it to rest an extra day, would be a better option then curing it two additional days. <

Hmmm...

Looks like he's going to be gone at the times necessary to either start on time or take it out at a better time?

Anyway, it's going to be hard to go too far wrong.

I may have misunderstood the time frames. I thought flbentrider would be out of town this weekend only.

Flbentrider if you are not going to be around during the week, then an extra two days won't hurt. As Bad Flynch stated it will result in a finish product that is saltier. If you are around, it's best to take it out of the cure after six days.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

FLBentRider

We're taking off for the "People Trap built by a Mouse" Friday. returning late Sunday. I'll be putting cure on the loin tomorrow night or Friday morning.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

The 9 lb loin I trimmed down to 8, divided into three sections and I rubbed down with the cure and put it in the fridge this morning. Looks good already. pictures to follow.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

Enjoy your weekend. Looking forward to seeing how the bacon turns out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

FLBentRider

Pulled it out of the cure. It's soaking now. I was suprised at how much firmer the pork is already. I guess if I was going to tie it up to keep it round I should have done that already.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Stickbowcrafter

Don't forget the pictures when it's done  ;D

-Brian

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: flbentrider on February 26, 2008, 05:44:03 PM
Pulled it out of the cure. It's soaking now. I was suprised at how much firmer the pork is already. I guess if I was going to tie it up to keep it round I should have done that already.

You can still tie it. I generally tie mine just before air drying. Sometimes I have tied it just prior to placing them in the smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

FLBentRider

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

manxman

Like a shiny slightly sticky skin would be how I describe it.  :)
Manxman