OBS vs DBS?

Started by Hightek, December 25, 2013, 07:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hightek

What are the advantages of the digital smoker compared to the original smoker?

Thanks,

ragweed

I only have the OBS so can't speak to DBS but others will along shortly to help.

beefmann

welcome aboard, the only  real difference  between the digital and the  original would be the digital controls.

i own the  original

Hightek

Thanks for the replies. I was reading some older posts about how the temp is inaccurate. Is this still true or has it been fixed?

Wildcat

Both models give relatively accurate readings. The problem both models have is the location the probes are in. The air temp in the cabinet varies in different sections of the cabinet. The closer to the heat source your probe is the warmer the reading will be, etc. Also the cold meat can chill the air in the cabinet. What you need to be concerned with is what temp the meat is being exposed to. That is why most on here obtain a separate temp monitoring devise and place it at the bottom of the meat, but slightly off to the side so that they can determine how much heat the meat is being exposed to. With the ones already in the cabinet, as the meat come up to temp, the accuracy of the reading improves. Also, keep in mind what your heat source is. It takes a bit to recover heat from cold or even room temp meat after opening the door.

Hope this helps.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

RAF128

Quote from: Hightek on December 26, 2013, 06:45:41 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was reading some older posts about how the temp is inaccurate. Is this still true or has it been fixed?

It's not that the temp reading are inaccurate.   The OBS temp probe is at the top of the door and reads the temp near the top of the cabinet and near the front.   The Digital's probe is on the back wall above the heating element and reads higher than the actual temp in the cabinet.   That's why many buy a thermometer and hang the probe in the center of the cabinet, usually right below the meat.   There you get a temp that the meat is exposed to.   More critical is the temp swings which could be as much as +- 10 for a total of 20 degrees.  That's not critical if you smoking a piece of meat but if you're doing sausage, then it matters.  If you plan to do a lot of Sausage, then a PID is a good idea.

Hightek