Jerky Day

Started by NePaSmoKer, September 25, 2008, 08:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Have 5 lbs of jerky ready to go today. 3 lbs of beef and 2 lbs od venison. Going to use my backwoods marinade. I guess i will share it  ;D

This is for 5 lbs of strips of your choice. This is a Northern PA recipe i got from an old jerky makin dude  :o friend of mine

5 lbs strips
2 T salt
1 t cure (pink)
1 t curry powder
1 t cayenne pepper
1 t black pepper (table grind is ok)
2 T onion powder
1 Cup soy sauce
1 Cup Worcestershire sauce
3 Cups cold water

Combine all the above except meat in a plastic or glass container. Mix well and let sit at room temp for 1 hour. After the hr add strips to marinade and mix well. Place in fridge for 8 hrs or overnite.

You can smoke this @ 150-170* with 4 pucks of your choice. will take from 5/9 hrs depending on how you like it.

Note: Ready when there is very little moisture on the strips. Slightly sticky on outside, yet flexible to bend without snapping. REMEMBER no water in the pan and vent full open.

I WILL POST PICS WHEN VENISON IS THAWED  ;D

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Before i do a smoke with beef and venison i do a couple things to prevent any cross contamination.

First i burn my racks in my oven on the clean cycle for 2 hours.

Here is the cut venison.

When i do the meat i marinade in seperate bowls. This is the venison.

This is the london broil.

I didnt Reveo any of the meat this time because both are really tender and the Reveo would have pulverised it.

You can smoke both the meats at the same time. Tomorrow i am going to use oak (5 pucks) @ 160* then bump the heat to 170*  for an hour then into the dehydrator @ 160* until flexible.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Here are 6 1/2 racks ready to go in  ;D starting with 1 puck of mesquite followed by 3 oak backed by 1 more mesquite  ;D. All @ 170*

This is london broil and venison.

nepas

Tenpoint5

Now your on a roll NePaS! Keep it coming!!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

coyote

Hey Nepas.....don't leave me hangin' dude ! ;D

Coyote

NePaSmoKer

So there i was taking all the jerky off the racks to put in a paper bag.  Knock Knock on the door and its me neighbor......WOW lookee all the jerky  ;D

So here we were in my kitchen eatin jerky and drinking some beers......................

Take jerky (whats left of it) to his shop.....drink more beers.......................A friend of ours rolls up...........

neighbor says hey!!!!!  Rick made jerky  ;D   we eneded up eating all the jerky  :P and emptying a case  :o

I didnt even get a pic of the finished jerky.

Sorry gang

nepas

Mr Walleye

Hey NePas... At least it went to a good cause!

Having a few beers & jerky with some buddies! Doesn't get any better than that!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

No pictures necessary as long as you and your friends enjoyed yourselves. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 28, 2008, 07:47:00 PM
So there i was taking all the jerky off the racks to put in a paper bag.  Knock Knock on the door and its me neighbor......WOW lookee all the jerky  ;D

So here we were in my kitchen eatin jerky and drinking some beers......................

Take jerky (whats left of it) to his shop.....drink more beers.......................A friend of ours rolls up...........

neighbor says hey!!!!!  Rick made jerky  ;D   we eneded up eating all the jerky  :P and emptying a case  :o

Sorry gang

nepas

It is rather funny how that happens on a Sunday afternoon. Start smoker, have beer, check Smoker, have beer, check Smoker just about done, have beer, "Hey Neighbor, Whatch Ya Doing?" Have several beers. "Making _________, Wanna try some?" "Damn thats HOT!" have several beers. "Hey this is the last beer, We need some more"  "I got some over in my garage" Walk to neighbor's garage have beer "I knew that was gonna be good, ben smelling it all morning!" have beer. Realize food is gone mutter "Aw _____ food is gone!!!!" Have beer, watch the world go by, have beer. LIFE IS GOOD!!!! (If this was a Visa commercial---PRICELESS)

Dont worry about the Pics Nepas we have all been there!! Prolly been out of focus anyhow! LOL
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 29, 2008, 02:53:16 AM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 28, 2008, 07:47:00 PM

Sorry gang

nepas

It is rather funny how that happens on a Sunday afternoon. Start smoker, have beer, check Smoker, have beer, check Smoker just about done, have beer, "Hey Neighbor, Whatch Ya Doing?" Have several beers. "Making _________, Wanna try some?" "Damn thats HOT!" have several beers. "Hey this is the last beer, We need some more"  "I got some over in my garage" Walk to neighbor's garage have beer "I knew that was gonna be good, ben smelling it all morning!" have beer. Realize food is gone mutter "Aw _____ food is gone!!!!" Have beer, watch the world go by, have beer. LIFE IS GOOD!!!! (If this was a Visa commercial---PRICELESS)

Dont worry about the Pics Nepas we have all been there!! Prolly been out of focus anyhow! LOL

:D  :D  :D

Your prob right after all the beer way out of focus

nepas

La Quinta

Sounds really good to me NePa!!  :)

carnie1

Man that sounds good, did ya forget my phone # ?  ;D, Anyway things are settling down out here on the road we are at the pumkin patch now so if you get a chance we are open on the weekends. Are you back to the big C yet? How are ya feeling?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: carnie1 on October 01, 2008, 08:31:21 AM
Man that sounds good, did ya forget my phone # ?  ;D, Anyway things are settling down out here on the road we are at the pumkin patch now so if you get a chance we are open on the weekends. Are you back to the big C yet? How are ya feeling?

Hiya carnie1

I still have your number. Are you at the country junction pumpkin patch?   not back to work yet, looks like it may turn into a long term dissability thing.

nepas

carnie1

Well at least ya get to make lots of Jerky and the like but its no fun havin' to do what the docs say either. Yes we are here at Country Junction.