My New PID

Started by begolf25, April 12, 2006, 05:41:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

begolf25

Well I finally got my PID finished up.  As you can see this is a copy of the design put together by TomG.  After seeing his in another post his looked like the best design for me.  First off let me start by giving all the credit for this project to TomG.  I emailed him after seeing his design and asked for some guidance putting mine together.  He said he would be more then happy to, but I don't think he realized how many emails and questions would follow after agreeing to help me  :D  He walked me through the whole process and even took the time to get me some pictures of a mock wiring lay out for my box he put together.  He even helped me out getting some of the materials I needed.  Once again thanks for all the help Tom.  This goes to show the character of people and their wiliness to help each other out on this forum.

Below are some pictures of the unit I built.  Sorry for the quality but I was in a hurry when I took these.  I just got a new grill and the wife was already pissed I spent half the night putting that together  ;) If anyone needs some other images I will be more then happy to get them for you.  Starting off I knew nothing about PID's except for what I had read on the forum but putting this together has really given me a better understanding.  Here are the major components I used.

PID: Auberins Instruments Model: SYL-2352
SSR: Auberins Instruments 10 amp Model: D4810
TC: From eBay (non-stick coated type K) and I have another one Tom sent me
Project Box: Radio Shack Model: 270-1807
Terminal Block: Radio Shack Model: 274-658
Cord: 9 ft. Air Conditioner Cord from Home Depot

After this project I will be building another one in the near future and try to improve on my current PID.  I will be giving my new toy its first test run this weekend with a meatloaf I think. I also wanted to thank everyone else for there input on all of the PID threads I read through.

Bryan

Inside of PID

Front of PID

Top of PID

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

iceman

Very nice begolf. If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up with for a total cost on this unit?

begolf25

Iceman,  I don't mind at all.  These aren't the exact prices but pretty close to what I paid from what I remember.

45.00 PID
10.00 SSR
9.00 TC
6.00 Project Box
2.00 Terminal Block
8.00 Cord
and around 10.00 for mics. items.  Wire, connectors, ect....

So around $90.00 total

iceman

Thanks begolf. My nieghbor has been pestering me to make him one. I don't know the first thing about that stuff. Watch out TomG :D Just kidding. I'll have to talk to you more on this soon.
Quote from: begolf25 on April 12, 2006, 09:23:51 AM
Iceman,  I don't mind at all.  These aren't the exact prices but pretty close to what I paid from what I remember.

45.00 PID
10.00 SSR
9.00 TC
6.00 Project Box
2.00 Terminal Block
8.00 Cord
and around 10.00 for mics. items.  Wire, connectors, ect....

So around $90.00 total

begolf25

Let me know if you need any help.  It's not as bad as you think once you get started. I would be more then happy to pass on to you all of the information TomG shared with me.  I think I may have used up his technical support quota for the next couple of months  ;D

JVR

Nice!  Please let us know about your maiden voyage with it.  Also interested in hearing about your new and improved version!   :o

One of these days when I get some time I'm gonna take a go at one of these...

BTW, got a 7 lb pork shoulder and 5 lbs of beef garlic sausage in the smoker as we speak! 

begolf25

Since I finally have a free minute just wanted to let you know how the first smoke with my PID went.  I smoked 2 * 2lb. meatloafs.  Boy were they good and if you haven't tried these yet you should.

I am very happy with the results of my PID.  I used my Maverick also and during the whole time the Maverick and my PID were never more the 2-3 degrees off from each other.  Man did this make smoking so much easier. Now I won't have to babysit the temp's while smoking.  It really made the time and effort of building this well worth it.