Pulled Venison?

Started by squirtthecat, September 13, 2010, 07:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Somebody was asking me here at work...

Can a venison roast be smoked low & slow, so it pulls like pulled pork? (or pulled/shredded beef, etc.)

Tenpoint5

Squirt I haven't tried it but I would be under the assumption that if you did. You would end up with a VERY VERY dry meat. As venison is very lean on its own. My vote is don't try it, it would be a waste of meat. If you do let me know how it works out.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of...   The guy was going to give me a roast out of his freezer (deer season is coming soon) to play with.   I definitely don't want to ruin it.

Maybe in a braise? (like I do chucks/briskets)

Tenpoint5

I know the wife has done the crock pot thing with roasts and I wont admit it to her but I really didn't like it even in a liquid it still dried out and shrunk by half. It is possible to dry out meat even in a liquid for those that didn't know that it could be done.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Hmm.    I wonder what I could do with it?   Bambi Pastarmi?

KyNola

squirtthecat

Quote from: KyNola on September 13, 2010, 08:15:09 AM
Jerky?

There's an idea..     Bambi Jerky Nuggets.

I've got a couple LEM kits.