Pork butt vs pork shoulder

Started by Mardi, December 16, 2004, 07:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardi

Hi All:

Last night I did my first pulled pork on the Bradley.  I had to use a pork shoulder because my store didn't have any pork butts.  I have only smoked pork butts in the past and all have turned out wonderful.  Well, the pork shoulder tastes pretty good but there is very little smoke taste.  I used 12 hickory pucks and all burned just fine.  So, I was wondering if pork shoulders just don't absorb as much smoke as pork butts do, or is hickory just not a strong tasting smoke?

Mardi

capt.mike

Mardi
I bought a shoulder a few weeks ago because that was all the store had and I could not get to my butcher.This week I stopped by my pork butcher and bought 2 butts and some pork bellies for bacon. We have to say that we like the butt much better than the shoulder. The 2 I did yesterday took about 15 hrs but the but the weather was cold about 25 deg. at night. I think it is a matter of preference some people like vanilla and some like chocolate,some like Canadian bacon and I like pork bellies(regular bacon).
Mike

MallardWacker

Mardi,

I have had the same experiance.  If I ever do a shoulder again I might pull the skin off first.  But however, the big boys at the tests I have noticed that they leave that skin on.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...