Different Name, Same Face?

Started by JJC, January 14, 2005, 05:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJC

Hi All,

Just went to my local butcher looking for a tri-tip roast, and he told me that in New England a tri-tip is called a bottom rump roast.  I was lucky that he had lived in North Carolina for a few years before relocating to Boston.

I'm wondering what other regional differences there might be in the names of meats and fish.  It would be helpful to compile a list of these "synonyms" in a single thread or on Olds' Newbie Board so folks in different parts of the country don't get confused.

So, if anyone knows of a meat or fish product that is known by different names in different regions (or countries, for our new international members), please post it on this thread.  Thanks!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

oguard

John
here is a few fish with different names
chinook is known as the king salmon in the U.S.
coho is known as silver salmon in the U.S.
chinook is also known as springs here in Canada
any farmed salmon from B.C. is atlantic salmon.
hope this helps some people.I think this thread is a good idea and clears up some confusion out there.[;)]
keep on smokin[8D]
mike
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">bottom rump roast...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That is the term my mother always used.  Have not heard it for yeras.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

BigSmoker

John,
Heres a list of a few different names for steaks a friend of mine posted over at my forum a while back.

BEEF LOIN
T-Bone = T-Bone or Porterhouse

Porterhouse = Porterhouse or T-Bone

Beef Tenderloin = Tenderloin Steak, Filet Mignon, Tournedo Steak, Chateau Briand, King Steak, Medallion Steak

Boneless Top Loin Strip
New York Strip Steak, Hotel Steak, Ambassador Steak, Strip Steak, Kansas City Steak, Boneless Club Steak, Veiny Steak, Loin Steak

Bone-in Top Loin Strip
Strip Steak, NY Strip Steak, Shell Steak, Sirloin Strip Steak, Club Steak, Chip Club Steak, Delmonico Steak, Country Club Steak

Bone-in Sirloin
Sirloin Steak, Round Bone Sirloin Steak, Flat Bone Sirloin Steak, Pin Bone Sirloin Steak, Shell Hip Steak

Boneless Sirloin
Sirloin Steak, Boneless Sirloin Steak, Sirloin Cap Steak, Top Sirloin Steak, Culotte Steak, Shell Steak, Rump Steak, Short Cut Rump Steak, Butt Steak

BEEF RIB
Rib Eye Steak, Rib Steak, Delmonico Steak, Club Steak, Market Steak, Beauty Steak, Spencer Steak, Breakfast Steak, Griller Steak

BEEF CHUCK
Chuck Eye Steak, Chuck Sizzler Steak
Boneless Top Blade Steak = Flat Iron Steak, Chicken Steak, Butter Steak, Blade Steak, Top Chuck Steak

MISCELLANEOUS CUTS
London Broil = Top Round Steak, Chuck Shoulder Steak, Sirloin tip Steak, flank Steak
Balltip Steaks = Petite Steaks, Sirloin Sizzlers, Sirloin Filet Steak, Filet of Sirloin, Bottom Sirloin Steak
Tri-Tip Steaks = Triangle Steaks
Flank Steak = Jiffy Steak, London Broil, Flank Steak Filet
Hanger Steak = Butcher's Steak, Hanging Tenderloin, Jiffy Steak
Skirt Steak = Inside/Outside Skirt Steak, Fajita Steak, Philadelphia Steak

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

birdboy

Might be helpful if someone has one of those butcher charts that shows what comes from where ... so those that are unfamiliar with the cuts referred to here, can look it up.  

Don't want someone thinking smokin butts is a cut south of the tail ...[xx(]

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">BEEF LOIN

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Jeff,

Is there a grade differance to a T-Bone and a Porterhouse.  I don't know where I heard it but I thought that a Porterhouse was better than a staright up T.  Less of the center bone and more meat where the staighr up T has much more pronouced thicker center bone.  Just wondering, is this true?

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

for meat tips i go here, i have never ordered anything, but good info
http://www.askthemeatman.com/index.html

MAKE SURE TO SIGN UP FOR THE FREE GIVEAWAY!! GO HERE.http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=991

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">BEEF LOIN

Jeff,

Is there a grade differance to a T-Bone and a Porterhouse.  I don't know where I heard it but I thought that a Porterhouse was better than a staright up T.  Less of the center bone and more meat where the staighr up T has much more pronouced thicker center bone.  Just wondering, is this true?

No grade difference choice is choice, prime is prime.  The t-bone only has a portion of the fillet and the porterhouse has the whole thing[:p][:p].

Here is another link for meat questions
http://www.foodsubs.com/Meats.html

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
No grade difference choice is choice, prime is prime.  The t-bone only has a portion of the fillet and the porterhouse has the whole thing[:p][:p].

Here is another link for meat questions
http://www.foodsubs.com/Meats.html

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com
I agree with your description of the diffeence between Porterhouse and T-bone.

Thanks for the website link on meat cuts.  It's very useful, and we should include it on our Newbie or Basic Info Forum when its ready.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SMOKEHOUSE ROB</i>
<br />for meat tips i go here, i have never ordered anything, but good info
http://www.askthemeatman.com/index.html

MAKE SURE TO SIGN UP FOR THE FREE GIVEAWAY!! GO HERE.http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=991
Thanks for the link, Rob.  The website looks goood, so we should include it in our Newbie/Basic Info Forum when its up and running.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
Just went to my local butcher looking for a tri-tip roast, and he told me that in New England a tri-tip is called a bottom rump roast.  I was lucky that he had lived in North Carolina for a few years before relocating to Boston.

John I asked a butcher friend over at my forum about the name differences an heres what he wrote back to me.

My question.   Is a tri-tip the same as a bottom rump roast?

His answer.

No...the
tri-Tip comes from the Sirloin and the Rump comes from the Round. On a whole bottom round, the rump is on the 'pointy' end, shaped like an inverted "V".

It's close, though, as they are very closely related when they break the round from the loin in processing.

[?][:D]

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]

Eat This

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br />John,
Heres a list of a few different names for steaks a friend of mine posted over at my forum a while back.

BEEF LOIN

Beef Tenderloin = Tenderloin Steak, Filet Mignon, Tournedo Steak, Chateau Briand, King Steak, Medallion Steak

Boneless Top Loin Strip
New York Strip Steak, Hotel Steak, Ambassador Steak, Strip Steak, Kansas City Steak, Boneless Club Steak, Veiny Steak, Loin Steak

Bone-in Top Loin Strip
Strip Steak, NY Strip Steak, Shell Steak, Sirloin Strip Steak, Club Steak, Chip Club Steak, Delmonico Steak, Country Club Steak

Bone-in Sirloin
Sirloin Steak, Round Bone Sirloin Steak, Flat Bone Sirloin Steak, Pin Bone Sirloin Steak, Shell Hip Steak

Boneless Sirloin
Sirloin Steak, Boneless Sirloin Steak, Sirloin Cap Steak, Top Sirloin Steak, Culotte Steak, Shell Steak, Rump Steak, Short Cut Rump Steak, Butt Steak

BEEF RIB
Rib Eye Steak, Rib Steak, Delmonico Steak, Club Steak, Market Steak, Beauty Steak, Spencer Steak, Breakfast Steak, Griller Steak

BEEF CHUCK
Chuck Eye Steak, Chuck Sizzler Steak
Boneless Top Blade Steak = Flat Iron Steak, Chicken Steak, Butter Steak, Blade Steak, Top Chuck Steak

MISCELLANEOUS CUTS
London Broil = Top Round Steak, Chuck Shoulder Steak, Sirloin tip Steak, flank Steak
Balltip Steaks = Petite Steaks, Sirloin Sizzlers, Sirloin Filet Steak, Filet of Sirloin, Bottom Sirloin Steak
Tri-Tip Steaks = Triangle Steaks
Flank Steak = Jiffy Steak, London Broil, Flank Steak Filet
Hanger Steak = Butcher's Steak, Hanging Tenderloin, Jiffy Steak
Skirt Steak = Inside/Outside Skirt Steak, Fajita Steak, Philadelphia Steak

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]

Porterhouse and T-Bone are 2 different cuts...not being critical but they are...just so members dont get confused.

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>

John I asked a butcher friend over at my forum about the name differences an heres what he wrote back to me.

My question.   Is a tri-tip the same as a bottom rump roast?

His answer.

No...the
tri-Tip comes from the Sirloin and the Rump comes from the Round. On a whole bottom round, the rump is on the 'pointy' end, shaped like an inverted "V".

It's close, though, as they are very closely related when they break the round from the loin in processing.

[?][:D]

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com
I guess my butcher shoulda spent more time in North Carolina . . .[:)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bottom rump roast...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is the term my mother always used. Have not heard it for yeras.

Well a rump roast is found in most of our stores here. It generally cost more that a bottom round. IMO once roasted it really does not eat any better than a bottom round.

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Cutterone

There is no quality or taste difference between aT Bone or Porterhouse steak. The only thing that makes them different is that the Porterhouse has an extra muscle at the top of the steak, (it looks like a circle). Once that disapears, it is considered a T Bone, and once there is less than one inch of tenderloin left attached to the bone, then it is considered a Wing Steak. What we usually do at work is to bone out the wing portion of the loin and put it out as a Striploin. when people ask me if the striploin is a good cut of meat, I tell them that "it's a boneless T Bone", and then show them on a T Bone what part of the steak it is.

From a tiny spark bursts a mighty flame, but from a cloud of grey, emerges a great taste.