Walking BBQ?

Started by mschafer, April 06, 2011, 12:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mschafer

I did a site search but came up empty on this topic: I agreed to help out 2 separate friends with summer parties, thus giving me a couple of dry runs for the upcoming graduation parties of my own kids.

Pulled pork is the menu favorite but I am trying to work out a different way of serving other than the bun on the plate routine. The walking taco fair food staple came to mind so I was thinking about a wide mouth styrofoam or cardboard type cup and using some combination pulled pork, ranch style beans, coleslaw maybe even fries layered in the cup top to bottom or even something on the bottom and two more items side/side, much easier that balancing a plate also. Has anyone done something similar to this, any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

KyNola

How about that same concept of ingredients in a soft tortilla wrap?  No styrofoam cup necessary!

DisplacedCoonass

What about using a biscuit cooked into a cup?  Take one of your grocery store can biscuits, roll them out a bit so they don't puff as much and bake on an inverted cupcake pan.

Tenpoint5

Why not do it like the title came from. Open a bag of doritos along the back seam of the bag a plop a scoop of PP in the bag and use the doritos to scoop it out of there.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

I have done this and it works out well. I was at a festival and a vendor was selling these, and he had a variety of ingredients you could request, but the pulled pork was the main ingredient. I used this concept for a BBQ I held last September. It was a crowd favorite.

Set the food station up like a taco bar, and make sure your guests can get to the food from both sides of the table, to cut down on congestion, or if you have someone to serve they can make them as the guest requests. Show them how to make their own, or set out a sample so they can see what to do once they get to the station. If the food is not too hot use clear plastic 18oz. cups so the person could see how they were layering the food, and let them make their on BBQ Cocktails. At times you may have to double up on the cups if the food in hotter.

It really doesn't matter how you layer the food. I try to arrange the station so that the pork will be some wheres in the middle. I always kept the cole slaw to the side to make sure that had to be the topping.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mschafer

Thanks Habs, that's pretty much the way I had it thought out I'm still toying with the idea of fries or spuds.

Habanero Smoker

One of the choices the vendor had was mash potatoes. He also had corn, baked beans and several other choices that I can't recall at the moment; I wish I could recall more. I'm going to that same festival again this year and hope he is there again, but it is not held until the last weekend in May.

When I set up my station; I offered seasoned corn, mashed potatoes (but fries would work great), baked beans, mac & cheese (saucy style), of course pulled pork and coleslaw. Most guest were trying to get everything in the cup, sort of like a "Dagwood Cocktail". :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

squirtthecat

They had something like this at our State Fair...    Meat Sundaes they called them.

mschafer

Looks like I need to do some research ;D and try out the combinations.

Rckcrwlr

I am liking what I am hearing...

Pulled Pork Bar... Yummm!

ghost9mm

We done the pulled pork thing for both grandaughters when they graduated high school...went over very well with those young folks...

Gary
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill