Makin bacon again

Started by SiFumar, May 11, 2011, 03:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SiFumar

All sliced up to package...

Made hubby BLT for work tonight....

10.5's recipe for Maple Bacon is great!  I did lower the IT to just 110 this time....made a "softer" bacon, kinda more like "store bought" but tastes a hella better!  Crisps up great!  (Tho harder to slice) I did use maple sugar this time instead of brown sugar.....liked better too.

DADAKOTA and jimmyb...This is a "must try" bacon recipe.  I haven't had it to salty either, 1st time 5 days cure, and really didn't taste salt at all.  2nd time I did 6 days cure...had a little more salt taste but NOT overly salty.

G9....they only sell "instant grits" out here...and that tastes just plain nasty.  I have to have my son always mail me some lol.  But you're right grits would of been awesome with the bacon!

If maple syrup is pricy....use apple juice concentrate for maple syrup(same amount) use applewood to smoke.

ghost9mm

Good grief...instant grits...wonder whole in the world thought that up...I think I have eaten grits just about any way you can fix them, but never instant that I know of... :D
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

SiFumar

So I took the other slab out to divide in thirds for next round of bacon.  Imagine my surprise to see a skin on this one!  I cut in thirds and took my butcher knife to cut skin off...it was awkward to do so I took my sharp paring knife and it cut like butter.  I wish someone was here to take pics on how I did it...but what I did was slice between the skin and fat, then roll skin back and pull and slice close to skin.  Did all 3 pieces in less than 30 min.

OU812

Quote from: SiFumar on May 21, 2011, 06:54:24 PM
...but what I did was slice between the skin and fat, then roll skin back and pull and slice close to skin.  Did all 3 pieces in less than 30 min.

Just like skinning a deer ,,,,,or two.  ;D

MidKnightRider

The skin will pull off with out a knife AFTER smoking.
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

SiFumar

Quote from: OU812 on May 23, 2011, 06:42:41 AM
Quote from: SiFumar on May 21, 2011, 06:54:24 PM
...but what I did was slice between the skin and fat, then roll skin back and pull and slice close to skin.  Did all 3 pieces in less than 30 min.

Just like skinning a deer ,,,,,or two.  ;D
Well I've never skinned a deer so I'll take your word for it.  Next time I run into one in the desert, and have a knife with me I'll have to try it. :D

Quote from: MidKnightRider on May 23, 2011, 11:32:44 AM
The skin will pull off with out a knife AFTER smoking.
I've heard that, but I wanted to work on my knife skills and I prefer to smoke the belly fat for more flavor instead of the skin getting all the smoke.  Tho I did throw the skin in the smoker last night while smoking something else, now I have smoky skins to deep fry and my bacon will also have smoke on both sides.