Cure for beef jerky?

Started by TNRockyraccoon, February 07, 2014, 01:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNRockyraccoon

I've ordered some of the Prague powder but it will not be around till next week. Any ideas on a cure available in Walmart or grocery stores? I was really hoping to make jerky this weekend.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

smoke em if you got em

Haven't seen it in grocery stores but I've seen it at Academy sports. Also if you have a butcher shop near you they might sell you some.

Mike
OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill

Saber 4

Also if you have a Cabela's or Bass Pro in the area they stock cure 1.

KyNola

A grocery store will probably carry Morton's Tender Quick.  You could use that.  You will need to adjust the amount usedand omit the salt from your jerky recipe.

renoman

Quote from: Saber 4 on February 07, 2014, 10:31:48 PM
Also if you have a Cabela's or Bass Pro in the area they stock cure 1.

In Canada you will not find cure at Cabelas or Bass Pro or most all grocery stores. I don't know why but here in Edmonton you just won't find it there. We do have two great places to shop though. Butchers and Packers and Halfords.

Kurtenbach

Hey guys, new to the forum from Calgary. The Bass Pro in Calgary sells the LEM cure. I believe this is the same as Cure #1 (ingredients: salt, 6.25% sodium nitrite, FD&C Red #3 (for colour) and less than 2% sodium dioxide as a processing aid). Please let me know if this isn't Cure #1 as I'm currently using it to cure 13lbs of pork belly...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Saber 4

Quote from: Kurtenbach on February 08, 2014, 07:44:15 AM
Hey guys, new to the forum from Calgary. The Bass Pro in Calgary sells the LEM cure. I believe this is the same as Cure #1 (ingredients: salt, 6.25% sodium nitrite, FD&C Red #3 (for colour) and less than 2% sodium dioxide as a processing aid). Please let me know if this isn't Cure #1 as I'm currently using it to cure 13lbs of pork belly...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The LEM's is cure #1 you are good to go.

renoman

TNRockyraccoon

I found a cure and seasoning kit at Gander Mountain. It had a small bag of cure in it and its going to get me through this first attempt at jerky.

Thanks for the replies.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk