Venison balogna&sausage recipes

Started by smokingthemidwest, December 20, 2009, 06:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

I use 60% deer to 40% pork butt and take my sausages to 152 F and give it a ice water bath till the temp drops below 90 F then hang at room temp for at least 1 hr to drip dry and bloom

smokingthemidwest

Thank you i usually bring my it up to 160* then i ice water bath and then hang for a bit before packaging. I just wanted to make sure that 160* it was safe, did not want to get anybody sick if you know what i mean. I seen where some people went to 150-155 and some as much as 170. Thank you again

OU812

I have found that the flavor are much better if you let the sausage hang in the fridge for at least 24 hr, I go 48 hr, before you enjoy or package them.

RickWL63

160* should be safe.  I was in a sausage class in Omaha (Hobart's Butchering Supply, aka Frisco Spices), and they said 30 minutes at either 152* or 158* internal temp (can't remember which) met the USDA guidelines for being safe.

NePaSmoKer

OHHHHH So thats how you do it  :D  :D

RickWL63

Anywhere I can learn new tricks.   ;D ;D  I had a great deer season and I've always wanted to get into smoking meat.  Took the class, and combined that knowledge with what you guys have been posting and helping me with, my learning curve is steadily leveling out, and I am appreciating my Bradley Digital a lot more.  I did a rack of pork ribs the other day and they were great.  HyVee had pork butt on sale for .99/lb.  If it would get out of the negative temps here in NE, I would like to try and make some smoked pulled pork.

OU812

Rick

When did HyVee have butts for $0.99? I musta missed it.  :(

Quarlow

RickWL63 I am glad to see you have settled in with the Bradley. It was you that was disillusioned when you first got it wasn't it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

smokingthemidwest

Yeah the store in town here had pork butts on sale for .99 cents a pound. So i went and stocked up, got some deer sausage to do this weekend.

RickWL63

OU, The HyVee at Shadow Lake (Papillion, NE) had them for that price the week after Christmas.  I will be watching those prices a little more closely now.  If you live in Omaha, PM me.

Quarlow, yes, I was a little disillusioned at first, but after chatting with you, OU, and NePaS, I am becoming much more comfortable with the Bradley Digital.  I do look forward to more smoking once the temps here get back up above 0*.  ;D

Quarlow

Good on you Rick. Glad we were able to keep you hanging on.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

smokingthemidwest

Hello again, one more quick question i bought some seasoning and cure from the local butcher and when i mix the cure with the seasoning how much water should i use?  I made a batch two weeks ago and used about one once per pound of meat does that seem right? I am going to try to post pictures this time. Sorry for all the questions just making sure i am doing things right, i want to learn from the pros. Thank you in advance

smokingthemidwest

Hello everybody just got done smoking twenty pounds of venison sausage. Here is a couple of pictures of the last batch blooming. Let me know what you think.

Thank you in advance

HawkeyeSmokes

Looks pretty darned good to me!

Send a couple rings over for taste testing and I will give a full report!  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

Quarlow

Nice looking stuff there smokingthemidwest.

OBS
BBQ