salmon jerky

Started by jd748, October 21, 2008, 07:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jd748

I have been trying to make jerky out of some fish that I caught this summer and I have actually turned out a couple of really good batches.  I just got a bradley this summer as well and only found this site a couple of days ago.
I have used a few different brines all variations of the salt, sugar, water, spices.. but when i smoke i am leaving the temp normally around 110 to 130 deg F, for whole time that I smoke.
I am wondering if this is okay for parasites since the fish has been froze or should the temp be brought up? 

Gizmo

Can't help you on your question but welcome to the forum.
A couple of further questions for you.  What temperature are you bringing the fish to?  Are you increasing the temp after the smoke?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

jd748

I am not sure what temp (internal) that the fish reach.  I have just kept the cabinet at around 130.  And as of yet i do not bring the temp up near the end, but i might start doing that if it is neeeded.

Just when I "google" fish jerky most of the recipes that i have found say to keep the cabinet temp below 140.

and thanks for the welcome.  This place looks great with some good recipe ideas and lots of great photos.

oguard

jd welcome to the forum.  I make smoked indian candy I apply 3 hrs of cold smoke then slowly bring my heat up to 150f til the fish has dried. Hope this helps.

Mike
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

NePaSmoKer

Welcome jd

Bring your temp to 140* to 160*

Turn your salmon jerky often and rotate the racks. Turn your vent full open and dont have no water in your pan. Do have the pan there to catch the bisquettes. As far as wood goes Alder is good for fish jerky, use 4 to 6.

If you drop the temp 140 or below you should use cure in the jerky.

nepas

jd748

Thanks for the welcome and the advice.  The last batch i made was the Indian candy and it turned out awesome.  I just kept the cab temp between 140 and 150 the whole time.  Next time I will have to start with the cold smoke Oguard and give that a try.  Now I have to wait until next spring to go fishing again  :(