Newbie requires chicken recipe

Started by peter ramone, March 12, 2005, 07:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter ramone

Just recieved my BS today, and I need a recipe for Hot smoked chicken. I have one that says I can Brine in 80% solution for 2 hours (Salt and water) the hot smoke at 170F until cooked. Please advise?

nsxbill

Hello Peter,

Welcome to the forum.

I have tried chicken 4 to 5 times...different each time.  Some things I have learned...

Smoke no more than 2 hrs.  It is all the chicken can handle.  

Cook at no less than 225...slower smokes dry out the chicken.

Internal temp good.  You just need to get to it quicker.  The heat dries out the meat.  Bard with chicken on the chicken, or dripping down on it from the top rack.

To brine or not to brine..up to you.  I did apple juice and salt brine on Turkey and it turned out pretty good.

Do a search for chicken with the Search feature and you will be rewarded with finding many successes and failures described by people who have done chicken previously.

Good luck and have fun with expirementing with anything new or different.

My next attempt will be whole chickens on upright holders with bowls underneath to catch the drippings.  

Use a milder wood...chicken really absorbs the smoke big time!

ps:  check out the rolled cordon bleu type chicken breasts olds posted up.  They look pretty good!  I have done the chicken wrapped breasts...like a skinless breast in a sarong, and they are excellent too.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

peter ramone

Thanks for that. I will give it a go.