Pork Belly vs Side Pork

Started by Jimbo, July 13, 2007, 05:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo

Is there any difference in these two cuts of pork or are the one in the same?  I am looking at trying to smoke some bacon.

Also, what is everyone paying per pound for pork belly?

Thank you.

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

NePaSmoKer

here in NEPA pork belly is $3.99lb  >:(

nepas

begolf25

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on July 13, 2007, 07:00:25 AM
here in NEPA pork belly is $3.99lb  >:(

nepas

Same here in southern PA. I went to my butcher the other day to get some things and asked about it because I want to try bacon. I didn't pick one up because I thought that sounded high. I guess it is the going rate up this way.

HCT

Wow, :o $3.99lb, and I thought $1.99 was high.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Habanero Smoker

To my knowledge they are the same. Side/belly is the section that is left after the spareribs are removed from the side of the hog.

The last time I bought a side/belly it cost me $1.67/lb. I'm getting ready to order two more slab, I hope the price is still the same.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Jimbo

Thanks for the replies guys.  1 local butcher/processor says they carry fresh side pork for $2.79 lb on Weds & Thurs, what isn't sold by Friday is cured and smoked for bacon onsite.  They then sell the bacon for $3.29 lb.

The other butcher shop sells pork belly for $1.99 lb.

Gizmo

Jimbo,
I would have to "side" with Hab smoker on this from my experience with talking with the meat department.  When I asked for pork belly, they asked if I wanted the whole side.  SIDE?  I want the belly, Right the side.  I guess it can't be simple other wise the butt wouldn't be the shoulder right?  Man hogs are just screwed up.  No people are.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Jimbo on July 13, 2007, 05:00:12 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.  1 local butcher/processor says they carry fresh side pork for $2.79 lb on Weds & Thurs, what isn't sold by Friday is cured and smoked for bacon onsite.  They then sell the bacon for $3.29 lb.

The other butcher shop sells pork belly for $1.99 lb.

The price difference may be do to the source the butcher gets his meat from. I get mine directly from a slaughter house, which raises and slaughter their own animals. So it cost a lot less then other places. All of their meat is USDA approved.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)