Two Pulled Pork Cook Time

Started by Puckeater, June 17, 2008, 12:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckeater

IF I am going to do two Pulled Porks for a picnic and I want them to be done say 2pm Sunday I have a few questions:

1) What time Saturday should I start the smoke process so that I know they will both be done by 2pm.  Figure (2) 6 lb butts . Typical mild summer day.

2) Is it true the lower rack butt will finish well ahead of the upper rack butt?

3) How long can I let one sit in the FTC and still serve hot?

Thanks,

Consiglieri

I think I responded to your questions in the other post, but here's a good link to an overnight smoking technique:  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4528
Consiglieri

Smoking Duck

Too may variables to give a time, IMO.  I always smoke mine at a temp of 200-205F.  I generally figure on 18 hours of smoking when I have 2 butts (usually about 7.5 lbs each) but I take mine to an internal temp of 188F, figuring they'll go up a little higher during the FTC.  It all depends on what temp you'll be doing it at, weather conditions (wind, etc).  I generally give myself a 6 hour cushion (utilizing FTC) but am always within about 4hours of my time frame.  It is better, IMO, to be done early than to be done late and having everyone wait for the food to be done. 

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Consiglieri

I really want to crack wise about words like "cushion," but Duck is right on.  Set up your schedule so that you'll be done early: FTC will keep the meat warm for hours if you use a good cooler.  I think the overnight technique will target a morning finish if you cook at 210 to 220f (measured by the Maverick, not the Bradley).  The meat will rest in the FTC and do some passive cooking to make you look great to your customers. 
Consiglieri

iceman

I just did a couple of butts last weekend at about 8/9 pounds each, 215F, 14 hours, not much fat content. Pulled at 180 they rose to 185 during FTC and I kept them FTC'd for 4 hours until pulling for dinner. Still real hot to the touch and juicy and tender. The "cushion" I got was from to much pulled pork and slaw and beans settling to my south side!  :D ;D